Universal 2K DRIVE (By 2K Sports)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Haruhi, Jun 9, 2013.

1. tso5818

tso5818 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    App crashes once in awhile. Also, I see under the tracks when the races are over, big glitch/bug.

2. best

best Well-Known Member

Seems like this isnt a racing game but a driving game in general.

3. tso5818

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    OMG, lol just bought a beginner car for 27 coins on accident. Was going to start a campaign event and somehow clicked to buy a car.

4. wedge598

wedge598 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2013
    I did the same thing. They need to add a confirmation button so you don't buy a car while scrolling through the event pages.

5. wedge598

Aug 17, 2013
    As I get further into it I'm noticing that the low polygon count or mesh density on the tracks really doesn't work so well with the Formula Ford. That car bottoms out a lot and is thrown around as it goes over the sharp polygon joints in the track surface. It's especially jarring on the high speed tracks. The other cars aren't really effected as much but I think in order for this game to work for the Formula car they would need to increase the track mesh density.

6. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    I'm really enjoying this and very glad I bought it. And hopefully there'll be updates with new cars and events. 2K can really build on this.Already its better IMO than RR3 and with a few menu tweaks and shortening of loading times and maybe a PORSCHE line this will kick some RR3 A8 butt.

7. jar0d

jar0d Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Europe
    Do you guys upgrade your cars a lot. Right now I'm fine by buying a booster before the race. Depending on the race acceleration or max speed. I also recommend to buy the double miles booster for races over 3 rounds.

I've 139 coins left and on the fence of what to buy. I really liked the new skyline. It's great that you can test drive the cars first! The formula ford is also fun.

What car do you recommend?

8. tso5818

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    I was thinking the same thing. I was saving the 27 coins for Mondays daily event lol. Needs a confirmation button ASAP. If I did it once ill do it again.

9. tso5818

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    I noticed the same thing, also when trying to get close to a corner barrier to shred some time it throws you out of control or stops you in your tracks. Don't even have to touch the corner barrier. Like 8inches away and it does it.

On the road courses they definalty need to make the tracks wider. You take a bit of a shortcut and you hit nothing and you spin like crazy. I think that's what you where saying. The boundaries need to be expanded upon.

10. That's why I like the dirt tracks cause they are more wide open.

11. tso5818

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    Same for me. But I like trying all the events and try to come in first. Right now I am just doing dirt tracks and some indy.
    Do you even do the daily and weekend events?

12. tso5818

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    Your a tough son of a gun to beat. But I got you :). Look at the weekend event.

13. PureRumble

PureRumble Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2012
    I downloaded this game today and have been playing for a couple of hours now.

And gosh, second opinion to follow? It is so frustrating to see a game that has been developed with so much labor and attention to details, receives so much unjust criticism.

Once you have turned off all the driving assists, the cars feel like the real deal and are absolutely lovely to drive. You must find a good balance between pushing the gas and the brakes as those curves come and go, or otherwise things will not end well, just like in a real car.

When you damage your car too much it must be repaired, and yes there are timers for that. But you can pay off the timers with stars that you earn while driving, and you earn a ridiculously large amount of stars. You earn them even if you do not win the race.

But I agree with the criticism; the timers shouldn't be there.

The graphics aren't as lovely as say asphalt 8. I agree. But I feel that they are still very good and their quality doesn't reduce the sensation of actually being there and driving the car.

I suspect the quality of the graphics has been reduced to make room for calculating the demanding physics of the simulation.

I don't get it why so many are complaining about the menues. They are just fine. Sure, not the prettiest you have ever seen. But they still do what they are supposed to do.

The game is so rich in contents that it's ridiculous. I mean for God's sake, in some levels you have to run away from an attack helicopter that is trying to lock on you as a target!

But I think I understand what has happened to this game. It has fallen victim for a sort of "confidence syndrome". Other games such as Asphalt 8 have spread the idea among their players that they are really good at racing games; the best of the best. And then they turn to this game thinking they are the real deal. But instead they just find themselves caught up in a lot of frustration as they bump into those curves.

And I think we all know how patient the average gamer can be... a pity that this scares off other more serious gamers that could really appreciate and love this game.

14. techguy

techguy New Member

Sep 12, 2013
    Check again!

Also you might want to check the buck event! ;)

15. tso5818

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    Can't play now. Girl problems again. Shit sucks.

16. wedge598

Aug 17, 2013
    Welcome aboard and great post. I think you hit the nail on the head. The complicated physics in this game surely play some part in the framerate and graphical shortcuts some are experiencing. I think it's worth it though as I get the same thrill nailing a good lap in this game as I do in some of the sims on other platforms.

17. cptlockheed

cptlockheed Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    IT professional since the 80's
    Finland
    Haha, I thought the helicopter missions weird and silly, but then I found out that the Top Gear TV programme had done an Apache vs Lotus Exige show already in 2004. Check it out at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCC7LrHu7cw

You are right that 2K Drive may have hard time to find its audience at first. The game requires some effort to get into, so the instant gratification seekers will rate it badly. Imagine the frustration of an average Asphalt fan who expects to get "10 times more A8" for his money and finds out he cannot stay on road past first corner. 2K faces some difficult marketing challenges, but hopefully they (and us players too) manage to distribute enough correct information about the game to counter the quick negatives. Even comparing the game to GT/Forza series may mean nothing to casual iOS players (see how easily people are throwing hundreds of dollars to play RR3 - many of them have never been console or computer gamers and don't realize how they are ripped off).

I appreciate how 2K/Lucid did not go the easy money from masses-route, and really hope the game will be a success as there is nothing like it for iOS at the moment.

18. wedge598

Aug 17, 2013
    This game takes a lot of inspiration from the Top Gear show. "The Beast" is essentially "The Stig" from the show.

19. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

Exactly that! You can really get in the zone, and what seemed impossible (or very hard) at first becomes easy (almost automatic) and you can focus on braking points, gears and keeping it smooth.

It's the same also that the slower you feel you are going, the faster the lap times will be.
    Really thinking about dropping $ on the Founder pack so I can just save for upgrades and try a few more cars out coz I can see a low wall facing me at the minute.

Really good game in fact it's the only game I've played since getting it. Got many more I bought that week that are sitting waiting!

20. tso5818

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    Can someone please delete my account.
    Thank you.