Universal 2K DRIVE (By 2K Sports)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Haruhi, Jun 9, 2013.

1. tso5818

tso5818 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    I don't think so. Take a picture of a graphical car in the show room up close and I will pick the same. See if my iPad gets the same graphics. I don't think I get that good of graphics. Using same device. Weird.
    Or its my eyes. Lol

2. tso5818

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    I got to go against your ghost in todays daily challenge. I won. :)
    Im in 11th now. Just in 3 races :).
    Game is fun. With the daily events.

Go to the daily challenge that ended. I placed 4th. Check it out. You get to watch the top 10 race :)

3. Yeah, the dirt racing is the best part of the game, I like it much more than the city tracks. And stuff like the helicopter chasing stuff is pretty cool too.

This game does have alot of modes, which is very cool.

I gotta think that the ipad 4 version is way superior than the ipad 3 version, which is clouding my perspective a little of this game. When I see some videos online of the ipad 4 version, it looks alot different than my ipad 3 version.

4. tso5818

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    Happens when I invite friends to get coins. Never works.

Attached Files:

5. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Yep, the dirt racing is actually a part of it that I'm enjoying much more than I thought I would. And is one of the easier ones for me to get to grips with funnily enough. All those demolition derbies as a youngster much have eventually payed off.

On the graphics side, mine looks the same as yours so I'm wondering why others aren't getting the same because visually its very good to me. Not quite RR3 but near enough to not bother me and about half the file size. So all good on my end.

6. k1lljoy_89

k1lljoy_89 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    wait there's dirt racing?

dammit I need this game

7. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    There is. You should.
    I think you'd enjoy it a lot because there is greater challenge in mastering the physics of the cars that's not reflected in other iOS games.
    And I'd imagine you're well up for that challenge.
    Plus the 6 field physics makes a big difference.

8. k1lljoy_89

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    I'm up for anything with cars in it. Especially simulators. That and the challenge stuff sounds like something I'd waste a lot of time on. Which is why I haven't bought it. Lol

There are no timers or anything, right? That's all that's kept me from playing RR3 into the ground. I'd love a good alternative

9. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #289 Rip73, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
    There are timers on car repairs.
    But, and this is very important, they are merely a management feature, not a hindrance feature.
    They are in no way whatsoever a paywall. They in no way stop you playing. They in no way hinder your progress.
    The required currency to do repairs and repair now are earned in about as easy a way as possible. By putting up miles and playing. You will never find yourself in a situation where you will not have enough stars to conduct repairs right now.
    It is simply a management feature at this point. Probably a leftover from when it possibly was going to be freemium.
    Cars get damaged and worn out and do need servicing and repairs. But stars which pay for such things are earned at such a multiple that I can not envision a time when they will actually be needed as they are doled out very, very generously.

View it as a management feature and it works very well by adding an extra layer of interaction.
    View it as a paywall or a freemium element, well, one just isn't seeing it right that way.
    I cannot stress how easy it is to earn and bypass waiting time.
    I know they are there now but to be honest I never even noticed them much.
    A bit like gem forging in IB2 (in a very roundabout way) but substantially less time and substantially cheaper. Nothing like RR3 and the gold (secondary currency) to skip waiting. Here, the primary currency does all that work for you.

10. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    blurry but no that bad, but still IMO it should look better

Attached Files:

11. wedge598

wedge598 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2013
    I tried it as well and noticed that it does seem a bit inferior to my iPad 4. The iPad seems like it has retina graphics and very smooth gameplay. The 4S seemed like non-retina grahics and was a tad more choppy. Still very playable and looked very good but not quite as crisp as on the iPad 4.

12. Yeah, the riff raff stuff turns me off, this game sometimes looks half freemium, half premium, guess for a $7 price tag, it just doesn't seem to fit in my book, but to each their own.

Yeah, looking at some more ipad 4 videos, it is pretty clear there is a huge difference in framerates between the ipad 3 and ipad 4 versions. Maybe even resolution or graphic effects. Kinda makes me sad a little cause Call of Duty Strike plays so well on an ipad 3.

On the ipad 3, the game barely chugs along. The framerates are pretty poor, and the buildings move kinda twitchy instead of smooth. The sense of speed is very poor in my opinion on the ipad 3. But from the looks of it, it is much better on the ipad 4, so I want to make it clear that my remarks probably don't pertain to the newest devices.

I do agree that the variety of modes is cool, that you don't see right off since you have to play alot more into the game. That is an aspect that I do like, and the variety is something that actually does make it funner for me to play.

13. wedge598

wedge598 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2013
    Connector, you deserve big kudos for giving this as much attention as you have. I'm sorry it doesn't quite click with you but you can't say you didn't try to like it.

Maybe you'll revisit it again when they've had a chance to tune it up and add some more content.

Cheers!

14. k1lljoy_89

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    Works for me. Definitely buying it.

15. alacourse

alacourse Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2013
    Works great on my ipad 3.

16. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    I'm finding the last few times that I've tried to play it keeps crashing on start up, gets about 3/4 of the way there and just quits out. It takes two or three attempts to start the game.

17. jar0d

jar0d Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Europe
    I was very skeptical about this game. I was very hyped and followed the toucharcade coverage plus the dev diaries. When I first read the comments in the forum about this game I was very shocked. I waited for the toucharcade review and was not disappointed. It took me additional 4 days and a dozen visits in the forum to finally give it a try. The 2 star review in the German AppStore was not helping either. Man, I am very happy with my purchase and enjoying the game for several hours now. 4 stars. Well deserved.

I can understand every issue people expressing in the forum with this game. However my experience is a different one.

Control
    This is a real driving game. What bothers me is the comparison to real racing or asphalt. These are great games no doubt about it. However you drive "on rails". If you drive torwards s corner your car is already pushing in this direction. Not so at 2kdrive. You have full control over your car. Really great and much appreciated. However the controls needs to be fine tuned for every personal need. I am only driving with the abs and put the sensitive down to 1. Works like I charm for me. The only thing I would like to have would be a button for the emergency break instead of sliding/holding the break.

In-app / timer
    Like I said I played for several hours and never ever had to wait to drive. Even if you have to repair the car at the end of a race it's not very much and if you avoid driving like a maniac you only have to repair your car ever 2-3 race or so.

Loading times
    I am playing on an ipad2 and since x-com I know worse. So it's ok but improvements in this directioare always welcomed.

Menu
    I don't know what's wrong with them. They are ok.

In total it is a great game and I am happy to gave it a try despite the AppStore reviews or the negative comments in the forum. If you like racing games you should give it a try.

18. techguy

techguy New Member

Sep 12, 2013
    Daily challenge No1 checking in! where are all the good drivers? ;)

19. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    Is that 1 in the world, or Friends? :)

Hey Wedge, you are a hard man to catch!

Also, is anyone else finding that they are activating the handbrake accidentally when only wanting to brake?

20. techguy

techguy New Member

Sep 12, 2013
    World :), Not sure how long I'll stay there though.