Universal 2K DRIVE (By 2K Sports)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Haruhi, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I'd have to say its definitely worth a shot.
    Its not easy to master by any means but the challenge of that is a big part of why I keep coming back to it.
    Plus it does look very good.

But you have to be prepared for the control element and the physics element. They definitely lean heavily on the more realistic side than the usual suspects and that in itself needs a lot of patience. Its worth the effort once you've figured it out though.

As for the iap/timers, couldn't be more irrelevant. Its simply an extra management element and if one can look beyond the "all timers are evil" and see them for what they are, they should actually involve one more.
    Plus they really could not be easier to bypass as the currency used to pay for them is earned multi fold just by doing mileage in the first place.
    There was timers for forging in IB2 as well and no one seemed to have a problem with them so no one should have a problem with the ones in this either.

I'd give a shot though. Wedge has put a lot of info about the game in here and its worth reading his post history as I found it gives a much more accurate interpretation of the game than most.

Plus if GPS likes it, it must be good:) me and him are racing all the time in the other top racing games so I'm very inclined to trust his assessment.

2. TomekSzymek

TomekSzymek Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    I'm just on 13lvl so I haven't played so much.
    From my point of view, multi is ghosts only. Game is picking a rival for you whose best score is closest to yours. Than you just have to beat him, seeing his ghost.

3. tso5818

tso5818 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    Hmm interesting.
    Sounds like all racing multiplayer games are taking the ghost route. lol

4. wedge598

wedge598 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2013
    Here's what I've bought:

Datsun Z
    Dadge Dart
    Ford Cogsworth
    Camaro ZL1
    Ford GT

Of those the Ford Cogsworth and Ford GT are the easiest to drive. The Cogsworth is cheap and versatile as you can run it on and off road.

The best thing to do is go to the showroom and test drive them all until you find one you like.

5. wedge598

Aug 17, 2013
    Thank you so much for saying that. I was beginning to lose hope with this community. It seems that if you post in here it has to be negative; and if you do have something positive to say you are automatically the developer.

I'm just a 44 year old structural engineer with a passion for racing games. Since the price of this game was a bit steep I thought by posting here with an honest assessment I could help people decide if they want to spend that money.

6. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

I feel your pain sometimes, but this seems to always happen.

1. Game comes out
    2. Polarized community that chimes in
    3. Heated discussions
    4. Those that are interested and like the game keep the thread alive with healthy discussion

Just give it time, I think there are more fans now and posts seem to be more inline with talking about the game mechanics and nuances now.

7. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #227 Rip73, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    No problem at all.
    Microbyte outlined what can be too typical (and frustrating) at times.
    I was just quietly reading the posts and found yours to be the accurate ones rather than reactionary.
    I made one post early in and then decided I'd bail and wait for it to settle down.
    I do think the extra challenge element of mastering the physics is frustrating people but that's just a challenge for me.
    I love my arcade racers as well but I do like the extra element this one brings.
    It will of course frustrate me as well, as it does simply require a different skill set, but that just means it'll stay longer on my device.

Anyway, thanks for all your posts. I personally think they are the ones worth reading on the thread if anyone is on the fence and up for the challenge.

(Oh and it really is a shame that $7 can be considered expensive by the majority, it really isn't when everything is taken in to account)

8. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

No kidding! If this game were on my Vita (which I really wished it would be), it would easily be a $40 game. The fact that I have a game of this caliber for the price makes it feel like I'm cheating the developers sometimes.

I'm not complaining at all, but it makes me cringe when I hear an iOS game is too expensive.

9. cptlockheed

cptlockheed Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    IT professional since the 80's
    Finland
    Now that the discussion has calmed down a bit, I'd like to bring out a couple of constructive criticisms in case the devs read this forum:

1) menus are not exactly bad once you get used to the way they work, but the transitions/loading times are a bit slow. Optimizing them a bit would be good.

2) the help and tutorials are a little sparse at the moment

3) some cut scenes are skippable, some are not. All should be. Especially the Gunship mission (helicopter chase) long cutscene being not skippable is annoying.

4) no developer/support forum at 2K, 2K Sports or Lucid sites yet. Would love to have a place to discuss with devs.

5) race replay is missing in this game too. It should be trivial to add at least ghost car replay as they are recorded for multiplayer already.

Finally, I'd like to know how Lucid is planning to go forward with the game. The unused car classes (A-C if I remember correctly) hint that there will be more cars in the future - these may well be priced higher than current cars, so maybe saving coins is not a bad idea. (Of course some new tracks would be welcomed too, as the current selection of sites is not very big, but it is a bit early to ask for more content :D) I really hope the game does financially well enough so that it will be developed further.

10. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Yeah, I'd agree with a lot of what you said there Captain:).
    Skip able cut scenes and some menu tweaking in particular.
    Replay I'm not too bothered about but it is definitely a feature a lot of people would like.

As for future plans, they have made it known that they are working on new stuff at the moment and that content updates will be a long term feature (assuming the game is supported by the buying public I would imagine), but I'd guess they'd be keeping a lot of that under their hat until that content is close to ready.
    Its comforting to know that they do have a long term plan with it though.

11. wedge598

Aug 17, 2013
    #231 wedge598, Sep 11, 2013
    cptlockhead, I completely agree with all your comments. The gunship cut scene is painfully long and the rest of your comments would be top priority fixes for me as well.

The Formula Ford is the only Class C car and the McLaren MP4-12C is the only class D car. Be nice to have more of each to compete with. I'd also like to see more of the Class E cars to compete with the Vette, GTR, Ford GT and Viper. Maybe a Ferrari or Aston Martin.

And let's not forget about tracks. It seems pretty limited so far. Lots of London variations which is cool but only a couple dirt variations and one oval and one high speed road course. I'd like a couple more permanent road courses at least.

$7 really is dirt cheap for what you get. This is a mini version of Forza 4/GT5 essentially and priced very reasonably. Everything should be purchasable by just playing and let's face it, you needed to play a lot to purchase everything in Forza 4 and GT5 too.

12. BillytheKid

BillytheKid Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Ooooh make sure you remember to join the weekly challenge guys!
    Just seen this and it seems to be like a competition you join with other players where you have to do laps throughout the game which get totalled up. When everyone who has joined hits the target amount at the end of the week then bonuses get dished out!
    Quite cool idea bearing in mind the daily challenges are competing against each other! This is all about everyone chipping in with enough of the requirements for everyone to get the total required by looks of it!

I'm really enjoying today's challenge. I guess it goes to show its still fun driving the slow cars about!

13. TomekSzymek

Dec 11, 2011
    @Captain

I'd agree with everything except the first point. The menu is terrible IMO :/

@BillytheKid

I've already joined :)

14. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    Thanks RIP. that's really nice of you(I'll have to make sure I don't write anything stupid now :) ), along with you and Wedge, I believe there is a really great game here, I get that a lot will be put off by the handling.... and believe me, I'm no expert racer, I have been doing plenty of over correcting, crashing and fish tailing all around the tracks, but when you nail a lap it is very satisfying. I'll never be 1st on the leader boards but its great fun to keep trying "just one more lap" to see if I can improve.

15. wedge598

Aug 17, 2013
    This sounds interesting. I didn't realize that. I'll check it out tonight.

16. wedge598

Aug 17, 2013
    Despite what I may have mislead you to believe, I'm far from an expert either. I'm competent enough at it to get through the events without too much trouble but I'm no where near the top on those daily challenges.

17. TomekSzymek

Dec 11, 2011
    #237 TomekSzymek, Sep 11, 2013
    The main problem with the weekly one is that I can't take part in it :/
    How do I do that? I've joined that one and what? It's like every lap done by me is counted to this challenge or lap done with specific car?

@EDIT:

I get it... It's counting automaticaly every lap.
    I like this one :D You just have to play regulary to be at top 1000 i guess. Game is new, some ppl might not get what the weekly challenge is about.

18. Rivalsan

Rivalsan Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 26, 2011
    I decided to pick this game up yesterday. I've only messed around with it a little bit so far, but it does seem to have a Forza/Gran Turismo feel to it. I was definitely on the fence about getting it, but the more of the discussions that I read, and the more gameplay videos that I saw, I realized that this had the DNA of the developers that I loved so much. Bizarre Creations is gone, but at least Lucid is attempting to be its phoenix.

I'm not worried too much about it having updates. 2K is a very well bankrolled company, and if you check its update history, it has been updated consistently almost every month since it has been available outside of the USA. It seems like it has had a number of major revisions during its initial launch, so I'd expect that trend to continue.

19. alacourse

alacourse Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2013
    Agree with all.
    Unskippable cutscenes are annoying. I wouldn't mind the game loading faster between events.
    Great game overall.
    I love that the car is tougher to control, any mistake and you hit to wall and/or loose precious seconds.
    Daily challenge - fun source of coins :cool:
    Weekly challenge - didn't know about it, I'll have to check later.

About saving coins, consider buying the VIP Founder's Pack. Amazing value: all car unlocked plus 100 coins for 10$, that's worth more than 1000 coins. It won't even get near this value buying a coins IAP. At 17$, it's more expensive than most apps, but cheaper than most games.

20. TomekSzymek

Dec 11, 2011
    I have also a quick favour... Let's add each other on GC.
    We can follow our friend's statistics and look at their number of laps at weekly challenges.

My GC: TomussMypl