2g LCD replacement

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by nickels, Oct 16, 2008.

1. nickels

nickels Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Male
    Product Designer/Mobile Game Developer
    PA, USA
    My original iPhone (2g) has an issue in the bottom right corner, a little known disease called stuck pixelitis. It started with one, then there was two, and now there are 4 and sometimes 5 stuck pixels in the corner of my screen. Two of them are bright green, the rest are blue.

I've seen replacement LCD screens on ebay for around $50 shipped. However, doing the replacement manually seems to be slightly less complicated then brain surgery, but not by much. I love my 2G and don't want a 3g. I am anal and those stuck pixels really bother me. Does apple still do repairs on 2g's out of warranty? I tried to call them but the wait on hold was too long, and their site has nothing on this topic.

Thanks for any info

2. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    They'll probably fix it. My wife bought an outdated iPod a couple years ago from the refurbished section of their website. It broke not long after and we took it to an Apple store. They went into the back and just gave her a new one even though it was one or two generations old.

3. dudehuge

dudehuge Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Ouch, dead pixels. You just have to wait, calling them is the best solution.

4. gusto5

gusto5 Active Member

Sep 23, 2008
    did you try running any of the stuck pixel fixers on your iphone yet?

5. nickels

nickels Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Male
    Product Designer/Mobile Game Developer
    PA, USA
    Yes I did, and let me be the first to say how much I hate this app:
    http://www.ebaspace.com/iphone-app/#_home

I ran that a few times for about 1/2 hr here and a 1/2 hr there. I believe that program is what caused other pixels to become stuck. So, use that app at your own peril, as it did the exact opposite of helping.

Tapping and pushing on the screen techniques didn't give me any more success either.

6. spikey911

spikey911 New Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Don't do it...

The LCD screens you see on Ebay in the $30-$50 range for the 2G Iphone are worthless....Save Your Money!

In case you are not aware, the LCD and the Digitizer are basically fused together with glue..Not to mention the top glass also is fused to the digitizer which in turn is fused to the LCD.

It is impossible to only replace the LCD without destroying the digitizer..

And guess what?? You can't buy JUST the digitizer for the 2g anywhere.

You need to replace the whole assemble, which is about $150-$200...

Your best bet is to go to an Apple store and see if they will swap it out.. The more dead pixels you have, the better your chances..

Good luck!