$25 for a honest review

Discussion in 'Promo Codes and Contests' started by Carlos, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Tonyzorz

Tonyzorz Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2011
    South Korea
    Received the 25$! Thanks for the contest^^

2. helloboo

helloboo Active Member

Dec 8, 2011
    25$ received.
    Thanks for the contest!

3. nightmoon

nightmoon Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2012
    hi

bro i can not wrote my opinion because i need to download the application........... and it is not for free. what i need to do???????????????????????????????????

4. tso5818

tso5818 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    Received the $25 thanks.

5. RevolvingDoor

RevolvingDoor Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Yikes! This strikes me as really unethical...
    I think you have a useful little app there, but people seeing these reviews will not be aware that the reviewer was motivated by money. I think there are actually laws against this sort of thing in the US.

6. MGP2

MGP2 Active Member

Dec 20, 2011
    The ppl were not motivated, they were rewarded for reviewing it, and we were totally FREE to write whatever we felt about it, as long as it was honest!
    Yet money was a point here, there is not much more ways to get ppl to look to your app, is there?

7. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Software architect, game dev and book author
    xor eax, eax
    I asked for a honest review, not for a 5-stars review (as others did). I would have paid the prize even if it were a critical review, so I don't think this was an unethical move. Besides, 6 reviews won't really change anything - and they did not, believe me...

8. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    xor eax, eax
    Anyway, the contest has ended.

9. RevolvingDoor

RevolvingDoor Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    The way I see it is this... You have 7 reviews, all of them appear to be from this contest. So, presumably, if you didn't hold this contest, you would have 0 reviews. Someone who's just browsing the store and looks at your product won't have that information. You're also creating a strong bias when you give someone money, and that will almost certainly be reflected in the reviews you're getting.

I know that in the grand scheme of things, that doesn't make any kind of difference... But it's still misleading.

What's more, this sets a really bad precedence. It doesn't "hurt" anyone if an indie developer does something like this, but if you can do it with no consequences, what's to stop a big company from buying 300 or 3000 reviews? In the long run, buying reviews is bad for your business and for mine. It's only good for developers who have enough money to buy reviews in large quantities.

I know it's tough out there, I'm not judging you. Just wanted to give you something to think about.

10. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    xor eax, eax
    #30 Carlos, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
    Okay, you are basically right. This was just an experiment from my side. (However, it wasn't me who set any kind of precedence.)

11. tso5818

tso5818 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    Actually I would've viewed this app if he didn't have a contest for money. This is a useful app and I am grateful that he made an app like this one.

My family like it and they ask me all the time to find apps like this, so thank you Carlos.

Don't let anyone put you down, I hope your app gets the attention it deserves.

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Totally right, shame on the people for leaving these 5 star reviews all because they want to win $25. Embarassing seeing these 'beggers' do anything for money. If i released the worst game ever and offered people $25 for reviews they would leave 5/5.

Its 'amazing' how all these offers for reviews always seem to be for the best apps as they all get 5/5 !!!

Thats why the app store is rubbish for reviews and ratings, because of people leaving 5/5 fake reviews.

13. q8)

q8) Member

May 3, 2012
    Thank you Carlos, received $25.
    He never asked people to give him 5 star reviews and he did not choose the winners based on the reviews. He is using these reviews to improve his app. Just saw him post an ad on the developers and trades forum for a new icon.