Universal 2112TD: Tower Defense Survival (By Refinery Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Caatalyst, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Caatalyst

Caatalyst Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Refinery Games
    UK
    It's great to be here and that there is a place to discuss feedback and player experiences!

2. jelt2359

jelt2359 Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2020
    Male
    Hi I keep dying at phase 9 of the Asteroid Mining level. Any tips?

Also, can I check which turrets can actually hit the flying objects? Is it just the machine gun? And do both the rockets and gatling guns hit them?

It would be nice to have a Wiki around all the different turrets and their capabilities...

Caatalyst likes this.
  3. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    Not sure what the phase 9 is... I will check it when I am off the work.

Only the missile experimental MG can hit a flying units consistently.

Other anti air methods are the lightening splash from a lightening experimental plasma gun, it’s charged attack, and the air strike.

Caatalyst likes this.
  4. jelt2359

Jun 10, 2020
    Male
    Thanks- the missile experimental MG is the rocket pods? The gatling gun doesn't work?

Caatalyst likes this.
  5. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    Yes, the missile I meant the rocket pods, Also, As the in game Gatling gun description says, a MG looses its anti-air capability once upgraded to a Gatling gun.

I just replayed the Asteroid Mining level on normal and couldn’t tell what is special about the phase 9. Maybe it was due to not knowing a Gatling not having an anti-air capability?

If you are still stuck, please take a screen shot of your set up before you go down, and I maybe able to help.

Caatalyst likes this.
  6. Caatalyst

Feb 7, 2013
    Refinery Games
    UK
    #106 Caatalyst, Jun 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    As I'm sure you've already spotted the asteroid map introduces the meat cloud. It might not deal much damage but it takes a lot of fire power to knock it out of the sky.

I'd suggest having a couple of machine gun turrets with rocket pods placed next to the command centre. Rockets deal fairly good damage to reinforced flesh so a couple can knock it out of the sky quite quickly.

Are you playing on hard mode? I'd suggest starting on normal as the elites will make it very difficult while you're still establishing your strategy for the map.

As Jstorm mentioned the gatling gun sacrifices its ability to attack air unit so that it instead can deal much more damage to ground targets, especially weak and tough flesh.

A couple of tips for Asteroid:

• Do not neglect the northern tower platforms. I think I may have mentioned this earlier in the thread but a well placed plasma turret even left at level 1 for a while can soften the slugs that spawn from the north ;-)
    • Try and time your deployment of the fortification wall and tactical drone strategically. The drone shield when activated on the command centre will make it invulnerable to all incoming damage for a short period of time. If the monsters are starting to pile up get the shield up and start firing rockets as fast as you can at the ground targets.

I plan on doing some hard mode walk through videos pretty soon as well to help players out who are having a tough time.

7. Caatalyst

Feb 7, 2013
    Refinery Games
    UK
    @jelt2359 As I'm sure you've already spotted the asteroid map introduces the meat cloud. It might not deal much damage but it takes a lot of fire power to knock it out of the sky.

I'd suggest having a couple of machine gun turrets with rocket pods placed next to the command centre. Rockets deal fairly good damage to reinforced flesh so a couple can knock it out of the sky quite quickly.

Are you playing on hard mode? I'd suggest starting on normal as the elites will make it very difficult while you're still establishing your strategy for the map.

As Jstorm mentioned the gatling gun sacrifices its ability to attack air unit so that it instead can deal much more damage to ground targets, especially weak and tough flesh.

A couple of tips for Asteroid:

• Do not neglect the northern tower platforms. I think I may have mentioned this earlier in the thread but a well placed plasma turret even left at level 1 for a while can soften the slugs that spawn from the north ;-)
    • Try and time your deployment of the fortification wall and tactical drone strategically. The drone shield when activated on the command centre will make it invulnerable to all incoming damage for a short period of time. If the monsters are starting to pile up get the shield up and start firing rockets as fast as you can at the ground targets.
    Good luck Commander!

I plan on doing some hard mode walk through videos pretty soon as well to help players out who are having a tough time.

8. jelt2359

Jun 10, 2020
    Male
    Thanks, I've now made it to phase 14 but then die with all the enemies bunched up at my base. What's the best way to deal with them? I have two rockets next to the fortified wall, and two uranium rockets behind the base, but it doesn't seem to be enough.

Caatalyst likes this.
  9. Caatalyst

Feb 7, 2013
    Refinery Games
    UK
    That's a tower configuration I've seen previously that helped somebody complete the map. Try and save your fortification wall for the last wave if you can. The muscle hounds can pile up quickly.

I also just did a little preview video of asteroid on hard mode if you want to see my tower configuration:

https://twitter.com/2112TD/status/1270735982351069188

10. jelt2359

Jun 10, 2020
    Male
    #110 jelt2359, Jun 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    Thank you- that really helped a lot. The napalm and gatling at the top, and adding one machine gun at the bottom for stragglers, was what I changed. Finally cleared it now! I also completed the tech tree already after having retried so many times...

For suggestions, definitely would be good to have a 2x at least. After retrying so many times (this game is not easy), it got tedious getting to the later levels. And also maybe a pause button. The descriptions, eg. in the database, could also be improved. For example I still don't really know what else a tactical drone can do other than shield and missile, and was wondering about this before buying the increased active time- does it make a tower more powerful? The database also doesn't explain this...

Caatalyst likes this.
  11. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    What the drone does aside from shielding and missile is explained under the tutorial.

The tower that a drone is attached deals 30% more damage.

Caatalyst likes this.
  12. jelt2359

Jun 10, 2020
    Male
    Thanks! Yeah I skipped through the tutorial quickly, I vaguely remember that but couldn't find it again. What's the best way to use the drone then? I normally attach it to my base for the shield, but then the 30% more damage is not useful anymore...

Caatalyst likes this.
  13. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    Same as you, for shielding the base.

In an optimal scenario, shield the base, attach the drone to a turret, fire missiles, attach the drone to the base, shield, attach to a turret, fire missile.
    I don’t see doing above myself though.

Caatalyst likes this.
  14. Caatalyst

Feb 7, 2013
    Refinery Games
    UK
    A good time to use the drone is when you've got either a large horde of monsters or a heavily armoured, hard hitting monster like the goliath approaching the command centre that you anticipate dealing significant damage.

To get the best out of it, pop the shield on the command centre straight up to stop incoming damage then move it quickly to a turret that will benefit from the damage buff at that point. Then focus fire rockets on either a strong target or a cluster of monsters to get the most damage done. If you've got double shield unlocked, move it back to the command centre after the rockets are depleted and pop a second shield. Then move it to a tower that will benefit from 30% dmg buff the most.

It's pretty hands on and you will learn to master it the more you use it. You can get away with using it fairly inefficiently on normal mode.

It really starts to shine on hard mode when playing the later maps and on survival mode when hitting waves 15+

15. jelt2359

Jun 10, 2020
    Male
    Wow thanks for this! I did not know that you could move away and the shield will still hold. How do you move away? Do you click the arrow then the new turret? Or click the new turret first then click the arrow?

Caatalyst likes this.
  16. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I have been getting further into the game and as I have progressed my enjoyment has gone from good to kick ass! It does take a while to start getting a feel for the towers and when to use the air strike, the drone and the repair specials. I do wish there was more explanation on using the drone as I feel like I am guessing there.

I any case, it seems like it has been forever since there has been a quality IOS TD that wasn’t an IAP bonanza. I love this!

Caatalyst likes this.
  17. Caatalyst

Feb 7, 2013
    Refinery Games
    UK
    @jelt2359 My pleasure happy to help out. When you activate the drone its controls pop up at the bottom of the screen. From left to right you should have move command, rockets and shield options. Press the move command and you will notice each tower platform and the command centre become highlighted letting you know that it can be assigned to them. The move command can be used as many times as you wish until the drone runs out of fuel. There's a lot to gain from each deployment of the drone and when used strategically it can not only pump out the damage but offer a fairly decent amount of shield time to your command centre and turrets. In case you missed it in the tutorial section, deploying a shield on a turret blocks thinkers from disabling it.

Thank you so much for the kind words @slewis7 it means a lot to our team!

Did you guys catch the introduction message that popped up when you deployed the drone for the first time? Your feedback is noted and maybe we could look at expanding the drone tutorial in the future to make its functionality clearer.

slewis7 likes this.
  18. Caatalyst

Feb 7, 2013
    Refinery Games
    UK
    We are dropping a small which should hopefully arrive today or tomorrow.

- Minor bug fixes
    - Slight increase to all elite variant monsters health points
    - Some survival mode wave plan adjustments

19. jelt2359

Jun 10, 2020
    Male
    I caught it, but I forgot- it was the start of the game, a lot of things to remember. That's why that third icon (database?) is where I go to find out these things. PS in the "Earth" Level (before carrier), I keep running into issues using my missile because I keep tapping on the base by accident when I try to shoot the monsters bunched up at my base.

20. jelt2359

Jun 10, 2020
    Male
    #120 jelt2359, Jun 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    Agreed. Last one was Kingdom Rush but that one was really hard. I'd buy more levels or turrets for this game! I finally finished it on normal!

Caatalyst likes this.