Universal 2112TD: Tower Defense Survival (By Refinery Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Caatalyst, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Caatalyst

Caatalyst Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Refinery Games
    UK
    Thank you kindly for the positive words!

If you have any feedback or suggestions regarding tutorial elements or features that you feel could be better addressed then please let me know. We did implement a lot of changes to the tutorial and we also added a lot of QOL stuff in the 1.2 update.

Habakuk likes this.
  2. Caatalyst

Feb 7, 2013
    Refinery Games
    UK
    Absolutely @sebgo. Player feedback has been driving all of our content updates so far. Thank you for the kind words.

Habakuk likes this.
  3. Caatalyst

Feb 7, 2013
    Refinery Games
    UK
    To celebrate the Winter holidays we are running a 50% discount sale on 2112TD starting today!

Head on over to the Apple store before the 27th to get a copy at the sale price :)

4. Alex DeLargest

Alex DeLargest Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Male
    USA/France
    This game would be a classic if only it had fast forward. The fact that a level takes 15 minutes of mostly waiting for the guns you’ve placed to pulp enough mobs to make enough money for more guns or gun upgrades is just ugh.

I love the art, I love the idea. I just hate the lack of respect for my time.

5. Caatalyst

Feb 7, 2013
    Refinery Games
    UK
    Hi Alex!

Thank you kindly for the positive words and feedback.

Did you know you can call in waves early? When the count down graphic appears for the next wave you can press it to not only pick up the pace but also earn yourself extra credits and xp. It's a great way to get things moving during those earlier waves :)

Alex DeLargest likes this.
  6. Caatalyst

Feb 7, 2013
    Refinery Games
    UK
    On behalf of the 2112TD dev team I'd like to wish the Touch Arcade community a happy winter holidays!

Thank you so much to everyone who has joined the conversation. Much of the feedback provided here has shaped our content updates so far :)

A big shout out to @Jstorm and @jelt2359 for helping us beta test our recent updates.

sebgo, jelt2359, Jstorm and 1 other person like this.
  7. Alex DeLargest

Alex DeLargest Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Male
    USA/France
    I do. It’s still just sooo slow. Please consider adding a fast forward button.

8. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    I understand the normal difficulty became too easy after balancing patches.

The game probably needs an option to start from hard.

9. jelt2359

jelt2359 Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2020
    Male
    I used to think this at the start. But eventually I found that this game turns chaotic super fast- it’s more like an RTS in that regard sometimes, requiring you to step in with your special abilities- that FF may not really be a good idea...

Alex DeLargest likes this.
  10. Caatalyst

Feb 7, 2013
    Refinery Games
    UK

Just to address the speed up function discussion a bit more...

Calling waves early IMO completely eliminates the need for a 2x function in 2112TD. I would very much agree that early game play would feel too slow if this feature wasn't in. Typically I will call in the first 5 or so waves to speed things up and get the extra credits to build up defences. Beyond 5 wave things tend to get a bit more hectic when you are trying to manage support abilities, charged attacks and build / upgrade etc...

It was a design choice to not include a speed up function and we tested a number of alternatives which we felt were much more immersive. I hate watching everything go on super speed it just doesn't feel right. Calling waves early was what we settled on as it not only allowed you to pick up the pace but also accumulate more credits to build faster and keep you on the ball. Also the speed up function just didn't feel right when you are also micro-managing support abilities, charged attacks etc...

Regarding your point on difficulty @Jstorm... Bare in mind we still have players who feel the game is too difficult on normal. It has gotten a lot better since this most recent update but it was hurting our review score quite a lot of Google Play. I think we've now found a sweet spot across all modes now though. It's possible we might have to add a casual / easy mode though in the future and maybe even an ultra nightmare for those like me that enjoy pain. :)

11. Caatalyst

Feb 7, 2013
    Refinery Games
    UK
    We will soon be rolling out update 1.3 which contains additional QOL improvements and balancing changes.

HIGHLIGHTS
    • Doubled credits awarded for calling waves early
    • Tutorial Improvements and optimisations
    • Starting credits for some maps has been increased (normal mode)
    • Additional tactical database improvements
    • Pop-up machine gun damage increased against weak armour
    • Swipe to exit game function added
    • Other minor bug fixes and balancing changes
    Full patch notes can be read here.

12. Caatalyst

Feb 7, 2013
    Refinery Games
    UK
    #472 Caatalyst, Jan 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    Hello Everyone,

It's a new year and we are looking forward to bringing more content to 2112TD!

We’ve made a start on the next major update. As we are still in the early stages I wanted to share a roadmap of planned features and changes coming to get some feedback and thoughts.

Thank you to everyone on the forums for providing feedback so far as some of your ideas have been worked into this update. Anything listed “under review” is still to be confirmed so let us know if you think these are worth implementing or if you have any suggestions.

FEATURES

CONFIRMED
    • 3 Bonus Maps - Continuing the story campaign which will take place on the Carrier and Earth's Moon. Each map will be available to play in normal, hard, nightmare and survival. The maps will be tough.
    • QOL – New UI audio feedback for drones to help identify them and their commands
    • 3 additional upgrade tiers for experimental towers when playing survival mode (Maybe nightmare). These are just a flat 5% damage bonus to help those who think they can reach even higher waves ;-)
    • Super elites – A new tier of enemies that hit hard and have higher hit points. They only appear in survival (maybe nightmare on the new maps).
    • Cloud save

UNDER REVIEW
    • Drone experience - As drones will now be purchasable and always on the map they can gain experience and level up. Each level will provide a small bonus to stats (damage / movement speed / range etc..) We are not sure whether to make the experience gained permanent or reset on death.
    • Leader board - Something we really want to implement but might be pushed back.
    • Achievements for some of the new features and changes
    • Biomass – A new resource that has a chance to drop from fallen enemies which can be harvested by the player. Processing biomass will earn credits and bonus XP. The tougher the monster, the more valuable their biomass.
    • Recovery Drone – A new controllable vehicle that is capable of harvesting biomass and returning it to the command centre for refinement. It can also be upgraded with weapons.
    • Drone Menu – Drones are now purchased and do not run out of fuel or leave the map
    • Passive Drone Weapons - low damage weapons for both drones that automatically engage targets in range. This will need to be researched. The tactical drone will have a burst cannon and the recovery drone will have a pulse laser.
    • New Anti-air Support Ability – Specifics on this are still yet to be determined but we are thinking of adding a missile launched from orbit that detonates mid air, damaging all nearby flying enemies.
    • New Research tree for the recovery drone and anti-air support ability
    • Drone functionality / Behaviour – Probably the most significant change coming.
      • Purchased for credits
      • Can be destroyed by thinkers and will need to be repurchased
      • Do not run out of fuel or time out
      • Tactical drone behaviour is the same (assigned to turrets and the CMD)
      • Recovery drone can be moved anywhere on the map
      • Tactical drone abilities will now have a cool down between uses to balance it no longer leaving the map
    There are many other changes and improvements that will be coming to compliment the new features and improve the overall experience which are mostly UI related.

Below is a little teaser for the new drone. This is a very early implementation with only basic animations. Pete is just getting the pathing / collision avoidance set-up at the moment.

https://imgur.com/0rmhe8S

Like our previous content update, this will be free to all players who own a copy of the base game.

Cheers!

Jstorm likes this.
  13. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    Happy new year.

Nice to know that you are providing major content updates. After all those ideas are implemented, the game will be quite different from what it initially was.

How about deployable army units that sit on the path with limited health?

14. Caatalyst

Feb 7, 2013
    Refinery Games
    UK
    #474 Caatalyst, Jan 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    Ground units is something we have discussed and would certainly like to implement. The new drone mechanics will pave the way for this although it might be that we save them for a sequel.

I thought it would be cool if we had a unit or group of units that moved along the path that need to be deployed in order to bunker down. They'd kinda work like a mobile fortification wall except they can shoot. If the they aren't in a deployed state and enemy units approach them then they will get steam rolled :)

The allies basic infantry unit worked in a similar way to this in red alert 2.

15. Caatalyst

Feb 7, 2013
    Refinery Games
    UK
    Here's a little teaser of the first map coming in a future update.

The campaign continues and the player must defend the damaged ship from the west while final repairs are carried out. There will likely be some pre-built turrets for this map when playing normal / hard.

[​IMG]

Jstorm likes this.
  16. Caatalyst

Feb 7, 2013
    Refinery Games
    UK
    #476 Caatalyst, Jan 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    The last stand nightmare walkthrough is now available:)

Almost got my arse handed to me on the last wave! Accidently discharged the EMP charged attack too early.

17. Caatalyst

Feb 7, 2013
    Refinery Games
    UK
    #477 Caatalyst, Jan 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    Next map is finished!

This one will be a familiar sight except it has been expanded to the south. After the destruction of the Carrier the fleet has returned to the moon to repair the communications base and re-established contact with Earth and the colonies.

You definitely won't want to neglect the walls on this map ;-)

Moon_Communications_Base_Map_extension02_Walls.jpg

I've also just updated the roadmap. We've been discussing internally a lot of what we had planned and we have made the decision to post-pone the new drone and major drone rework. As we began working on these new features and changes we realised that it would mean massively delaying the release of the update until later this year. The scope for what we want to do with drones has grown and we feel that it would be better served in a sequel where we can comfortably change gameplay on such a significant level.

There's still some meat coming to 2112TD including new maps.

18. Caatalyst

Feb 7, 2013
    Refinery Games
    UK
    Map art for the third map, return to the moon part 2 is complete!

Don't be deceived by the simple road layout. This will be a tough one with flying units attacking from a flesh wing nest to the south.

[​IMG]

19. Caatalyst

Feb 7, 2013
    Refinery Games
    UK
    #479 Caatalyst, Mar 3, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    We will be soon rolling out a small performance patch (1.31)

- Reduced memory usage (2112TD should no longer crash on iOS A6 / A7 based devices.)
    - Other minor performance improvements.
    - UI improvements / Overlap Fixes

Jstorm likes this.
  20. Caatalyst

Feb 7, 2013
    Refinery Games
    UK
    Update 1.40.32 has just been released which includes cloud support for iOS. You can now save your progress across multiple devices when playing 2112TD :)