Universal 2112TD: Tower Defense Survival (By Refinery Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Caatalyst, Jun 3, 2020.

1. jelt2359

jelt2359 Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2020
    Male
    I think uranium charge time is fine. It’s a fine balancing act towards the end of survival; any slower would basically be impossible.

As for the railgun the problems are that
    1) it cannot hit near targets so it can’t be near the base
    2) its reload is even slower than the uranium, with no delayed damage
    3) its charge attack can’t be aimed
    4) unlike uranium it cannot hit meat cloud
    5) its regular attack can’t hit for groups unlike platinum or uranium and so is really not useful for survival midgame/endgame

When you consider all of this frankly it makes way more sense to just build a uranium turret.

2. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    Well, I initially had more “balanced” turret combinations, but it didn’t perform anywhere close to spamming artillery, because those single target turrets simply cannot catch up with the amount of health increase of elites.

This is particularly true for plasma turret. When tides of enemies are constantly approaching, a nuke turret that can hit multiple enemies with its AoE attack and the residual radioactive smoke is far more effective. Around wave 30, when even a weak fresh enemy has the health of 6k, single target turrets don’t cut it. A lightening turret may kill one hellhound out of a pack, while a nuke turret will deal 2/3 of the health of a pack of hellhounds.

3. jelt2359

Jun 10, 2020
    Male
    sebgo and Caatalyst like this.
  4. jelt2359

Jun 10, 2020
    Male
    three napalm turrets in the middle of the map, two lightnings on the left and right of the base, three rocket launchers around the perimeter of the square leading to the base, and emp on the right of the map (between a lightning on top and a napalm below). Everything else uranium.

5. Caatalyst

Caatalyst Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Refinery Games
    UK
    #445 Caatalyst, Dec 2, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    The railgun is definitely not a turret to be placed near the command centre. It suits a more central location or what that gives it a clear line of attack along a straight path to get the most out of its charged attack which deals splash damage. It hits reinforced and demon flesh the hardest and with the chance to execute even reinforced flesh in a single hit (when the charged attack is active), I always make sure I've got one or two when playing survival.

6. Caatalyst

Feb 7, 2013
    Refinery Games
    UK
    I definitely see your point and agree that in the current release build the uranium turret does shine maybe a bit too bright in comparison to other turrets. I think the base attack is fine as is but the charged attack recharge time needs a small increase. Bare in mind charged attacks for other turrets are receiving a buff in the coming update.

I'm looking forward to starting the survival playthroughs when the update is live!

7. Caatalyst

Feb 7, 2013
    Refinery Games
    UK
    Congratulations Jelt! Are you placing the lightning turrets directly next to the command centre? I usually place them a little further out but so that they are still within range of monsters attacking the command centre to ensure their minimum attack range doesn't cause any blind spots.

8. Caatalyst

Feb 7, 2013
    Refinery Games
    UK
    The Carrier NIGHTMARE is up:

9. jelt2359

Jun 10, 2020
    Male
    yes I am. You definitely need one in the top left because sometimes thinkers walk by from the top path and you need a strong turret there to attack them. Then to balance that out I’ve found putting another on the right is the best because it focuses on attacking the base area and not the middle of the map or getting distracted by the top path instead.

Caatalyst likes this.
  10. Caatalyst

Feb 7, 2013
    Refinery Games
    UK
    I usually place 3 lightning near the command centre but not too close to avoid the minimum range blocking them from attacking monsters piling at the command centre. They are still within range of monsters approaching from the north.

I also put a uranium artillery on the very centre north tower platform which helps deal with thinkers / slugs spawning up their which attack the command centre.

11. Caatalyst

Feb 7, 2013
    Refinery Games
    UK
    Almost ready to start bringing in testers to break survival mode. This is highest wave I've reached so far. The changes to the charged attacks and rocket pod accuracy certainly help with progression.

About 30 seconds after capturing this image I was consumed by a sea of red. There's a uranium to the south and gatling.

Uranus_50_Survival.jpg

yankeeblue000 and Jstorm like this.
  12. jelt2359

Jun 10, 2020
    Male
    What changes were made? That's awesome!

13. Caatalyst

Feb 7, 2013
    Refinery Games
    UK
    Survival mode has undergone another balance pass. Early wave (1-20) progress has been slowed a little across the board for all maps as a lot of players weren't even getting beyond this. The changes don't necessarily make it easier because the waves have been tweaked but it will buy a bit more time to react before each wave is triggered. Calling in waves earlier for extra points and credits will be more enticing as well as well because of these changes. Later waves have had a bit of a tweak as well and I'm still working on it. Hopefully tomorrow or Tuesday we can start pushing to test flight.

Other changes that will effect survival mode include:
    • Block large monsters from spawning at small building entrances
    • Block flying units spawning in ground structures
    • Block powerful monsters spawning directly next to the command centre on Asteroid
    • A fair few charged attacks have been buffed which felt underpowered (flame cannon, gatling gun, railgun). A mixture of recharge time tweaks, damage and active time tweaks.
    • Additional tower platforms cost has been reduced from 500 to 100 (Sounds like a lot but credits coming flying during later waves when you really need to expand + it gives you the option to expand earlier on if it feels necessary for your desired turret configuration)
    • Rocket pod accuracy improved
    • Rocket pods now prioritise air units and the charged attack targeting is smarter / more effective
    • Additional tower platforms have been introduced to some maps
    There's more changes which will be included in the patch notes when we are ready. All maps are much more viable now and you should be able to progress to higher waves.

yankeeblue000, Jstorm and jelt2359 like this.
  14. Ghostdog1

Ghostdog1 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2015
    I tried out this TD game after seeing all the praise in the forum and I‘m a bit disillusioned. I mean the price is low and you get what you pay. 4 Towers only. Small upgrade Tree. Not much tactical depth cause later maps can only be done in one way and not with different strategies. I really wonder why people made it the most discussed game in the last months. Its not a bad game, but its by far nothing special.

edit: i saw now that about 60% of comments are made by the dev so that explains the big forum discussion

15. jelt2359

Jun 10, 2020
    Male
    This is not a typical TD game- it's not about placing and forgetting; managing your charged attacks and drones/arial attacks/ walls are probably the key of it. I also like how some towers can only attack certain enemies and not others (especially arial enemies). Also, each tower can eventually be upgraded to one of two different 'final forms', given 8 total. There's a lot of good variety there.

Ps lastly the fact it works best with certain configurations eg. in Nightmare is actually a plus not a minus in my mind. It makes it a bit more like a puzzle, and really teaches me about the pros and cons of various towers.

sebgo and yankeeblue000 like this.
  16. Caatalyst

Feb 7, 2013
    Refinery Games
    UK
    #456 Caatalyst, Dec 8, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
    Hi Ghostdog and thanks for joining the conversation!

Just to clarify regarding a few points you've raised:
    • There are actually 8 unique towers but you start with 4. Each one can be upgraded multiple times before you are given the option of 2 experimental turrets. Each experimental turret has their own strengths and weaknesses and each with their own unique charged attack.
    • Regarding the upgrade tree, I guess this is more subjective on how in depth it might be considered. There are 46 unique upgrades spread across your command centre, support abilities and towers and almost all of them can be upgraded multiple times with some offering unique upgrades at each stage
    • Regarding strategy, there are many different ways to approach each map and some players have posted their different tower configurations right here on touch arcade. Jstorm and Jelt have even been putting the devs to shame coming up with more efficient tower configurations and beating the devs survival scores. Additionally you've got the tactical drone with rockets and shields, airstrike, fortification wall and quick repair to factor in your strategy.
    Generally speaking the game has been well received so far so I guess it might just be a matter of personal preference and expectation? For some folks 1.99 for a premium TD game with this level of content, no ads and IAPS is excellent value for money but of course there will be some that think otherwise. Our focus from the beginning was to make what we felt was a great TD and while we've tried to accommodate a broad audience we appreciate that 2112TD might not be to everyone's taste.

Additionally we are frequently releasing content updates. Just recently we:
    • Overhauled the research system adding tons of new items
    • Added the new game mode nightmare
    • Added achievements and player stats
    • Added tons of QOL requests and improvements, balancing changes
    We've got another content update about to drop soon as well.

If you've got any feedback or suggestions then fire away as we have and continue to prioritse player feedback in shaping future updates.

17. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    You get the delusion that there is only one configuration that works, but there are many viable turret configurations and placement/upgrade orders.

For example, Caatalyst, Jelt, and myself have totally different preferences of turrets and still beat the nightmare difficulty.

18. Caatalyst

Feb 7, 2013
    Refinery Games
    UK
    1.2 is now available for download which includes many QOL improvements, balancing improvements and fixes.

HIGHLIGHTS
    • Tactical database and settings menu overhaul
    • Support for multi-app audio playback
    • Tutorial Improvements and skip option
    • General balancing changes and improvements
    • Loading level tips
    • Most tower charged attacks have been buffed
    • Rocket pods now prioritize air
    Full patch notes can be read on the 2112TD reddit page.

Habakuk and jelt2359 like this.
  19. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

Recommended TD!

At the beginning I had to watch some of the provided videos where to place which towers, how to handle the drone and the charged attacks, but then it was a pure pleasure. I am almost through on normal and have accomplished the first four maps on hard.

Great full game. Thanks for the update!

Caatalyst and sebgo like this.
  20. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

Oh, geez, somebody complained about it. Hahaha

If they didn't like 2112TD, my guess is they don't like tower defense games in general. This is, by far, the best TD game I've played and not relying on ads/IAP is a big plus for many people in the community.

It was good from the start and kept getting better with each update (especially that upgrade tree overhaul). At first, I didn't play it much (got stuck in mission 5) because I found it very difficult for me, then I started playing it more and trying out different tower placements and experienced a massive change, to the point I started playing maps in hard mode, too.

So, uhm, this game is great. It took me by surprise reading someone posting about it lacking depth or content. I can't help but think it's just some kind of trolling, or comment from someone who didn't even play the game.

And about 60% of posts being from the dev, that's a HUGE PRO, because that means they're listening and paying attention to user feedback, unlike ghost devs that drop a game/app and they're never heard of again.

Caatalyst and Habakuk like this.