Universal 2112TD: Tower Defense Survival (By Refinery Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Caatalyst, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    When you are done with campaign boot camp videos, can you do a boot camp video on the Asteroid survival?

Caatalyst likes this.
  2. Caatalyst

Caatalyst Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Refinery Games
    UK
    For sure!

3. Caatalyst

Feb 7, 2013
    Refinery Games
    UK
    @Jstorm I've uploaded a playthrough of asteroid survival.

Pretty damn brutal since the changes. I have gotten to 20+ on this build but not today unfortunately. I was pretty unlucky in the video getting an elite slug spawn next to the command centre.

It will be interesting to see how survival mode plays out on this map in the next update.

What's the furthest you've gotten so far on Asteroid?

Jstorm likes this.
  4. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    #264 Jstorm, Jul 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    Thx for the video. I think the furthest I have been is wave 16. I haven’t found a way to deal with tough enemies like Husks that spawn from behind. I will play around with my setup based on your video.

Edit: So I watched your video, and my ending is fairly same as yours. Because both trash and tough enemies spawn from the sides and behind of the base, and practically only 1 slot to deal with both types, the choice is between a MG or a plasma, which means you get pounded by either tough enemies or trash mobs.

Also, I didn’t know survival spawn were random.

Caatalyst likes this.
  5. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    This is indeed an addicting game. I still play at the least 3 maps a day even though I went through the campaign at the least 2 dozens of times.

I think the animation and the graphic design that reminds me 2D RTSs and the sound clicks for me. A map doesn’t take too long, but not too short either.

Caatalyst likes this.
  6. Caatalyst

Feb 7, 2013
    Refinery Games
    UK
    It's not entirely random but the way survival works is that waves will get progressively harder and contain stronger units as you progress.

I've had some success starting with a flame turret next to the fortification wall as well. Especially during the earlier waves to help with zombies overwhelming and then swapping it out for an MGT or plasma later.

Jstorm likes this.
  7. Caatalyst

Feb 7, 2013
    Refinery Games
    UK
    Let us know how you get on with the campaign :)

8. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    Yes, I have been thinking an elite gets 20% health boost, but noticed last night that the boost goes beyond 200% around wave 35.

9. Caatalyst

Feb 7, 2013
    Refinery Games
    UK
    Level 30 on wards turns into a sea of red pain :)

What's your top score for Asteroid survival btw?

10. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    It’s 1713. I was just playing around with the map. Whether I get to survive past wave 10 comes down to when thinkers spawn, and the wall kinda works against me, just creating a flood of enemies. I guess a part of the problem is it’s location. Since it’s right next to the base, it’s not really helping delaying enemies. It’s just delaying the command center’s destruction.

11. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    By the way have you finished redesigning the tech tree?

12. Caatalyst

Feb 7, 2013
    Refinery Games
    UK
    The tech tree design is complete and currently Pete is coding everything in. I suspect it will be a couple of weeks and then we can begin balancing and testing. There's no release date as of yet because there are a few other areas we are looking at as well but it shouldn't be much longer than 1-2 months.

The testing period will be fairly intense as we want to be extra confident that the update goes out in a polished state without any bugs or balancing issues.

13. Caatalyst

Feb 7, 2013
    Refinery Games
    UK
    A little teaser of the flame turret upgrade tree.

Research_Menu_Flame_Turret.jpg

sebgo and Jstorm like this.
  14. Caatalyst

Feb 7, 2013
    Refinery Games
    UK
    The mars terraforming plant walkthrough video is up! Nearly got wiped out embarrassingly whilst capturing this one :)

sebgo likes this.
  15. Caatalyst

Feb 7, 2013
    Refinery Games
    UK
    Another teaser for the research overhaul. This time we've got the artillery tree. Research_Menu_Artillery Turret.jpg

sebgo and Jstorm like this.
  16. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    Let me guess. From upper left to bottom right.

Range or reload speed increase
    Damage increase
    Damage increase against heavily armored
    Explosion radius increase

Access to experimental turrets
    Cost decrease

DoT damage increase
    Stun time increase

17. Caatalyst

Feb 7, 2013
    Refinery Games
    UK
    Ha - I was going to put out a guess the upgrade suggestion! You are almost bang on

Okay so Top Row (left to right)

1) lighter meta material casing (fire rate increase)
    2) Explosive Formula with better explosion yield (damage increase against all targets)
    3) Armour piericing shells (better damage against reinforced and boss)
    4) Fragmentation - Increased damage against weak and tough + a chance to stun them for 1 second (does not impact EMP experimental)

2nd Row (left to right)

1) Redesigned barrel (better fire rate and range)
    2) Cheaper experimental upgrades

3rd row (left to right)

1) Uranium barrage (increase the amount of shells fired when using the charged attack
    2) Overcharged EMP shells (longer stun time)

I intentionally left the values and percentages out as they are subject to change ;-) Also some of the upgrades are multi-staged and can be upgraded more than once. Some also provide slightly different stats at each stage.

Jstorm likes this.
  18. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    Will artillery retain the faster reload at level2? I tried to figure out the reload speed difference between level 1 and 2, and it seems level 1 is about 10 secs while level 2 is around 7 secs.

19. Caatalyst

Feb 7, 2013
    Refinery Games
    UK
    You are correct! The faster fire rate will carry across all artillery turrets.

Generally speaking, Almost every weapon in your arsenal will become more powerful in this update (once you've finally reached the max tech points). An experienced player with max unlocks would breeze through normal and probably still find hard fairly easy.

Of course balancing will be done across the game modes to compensate for this. Survival and the new nightmare mode will act as the end game content and will be where you start really getting your ass kicked while you flesh out your research. Hard mode will be kind of nerfed but still include additional spawns. Elites will be moved to nightmare and survival exclusively which will also include extra tower platform locations and spawn points. Bonus XP will likely be awarded for these modes so progression doesn't get too stagnant but players who are struggling will still be able to grind out the easier modes to unlock research.

We are not too far off the testing and balancing phase for the new game mode and research overhaul.

Jstorm likes this.
  20. jelt2359

jelt2359 Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2020
    Male
    Finally managed to pass 20k points. With survival it's pure luck. If I dont get a build full of winged monsters, I last much longer.

Caatalyst and Jstorm like this.