2000 Awesome Facts - hot entertainment app

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Vita Alex, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Vita Alex

Vita Alex Member

Apr 19, 2009
    #1 Vita Alex, Apr 19, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
    9000 Awesome Facts is a new entertainment app for the iPhone and iPod Touch.
    It's nicely animated and feels great on it.
    Basically, it's a fun app that shows you interesting facts about ... everything.

Just check it out (it costs $0.99):

Itunes link: 9000 Awesome Facts
    Official site: www.awesomefactsapp.com

Hope you'll like it, and please - share your thoughts in here ...

Screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Itunes link again: 9000 Awesome Facts

2. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    wow! looks really cool!

3. crimson.

crimson. Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    I don't have one...
    In AMERICA.
    That's sweet.

4. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

#4 brewstermax, Apr 19, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
    That's amazing. Bought. The icon needs a lot of work. Work on that.

I just realized that there is no list view? It needs to have a list view, with a small preview. And the usefulness of this is very little. But, anyway, the UI looks great.

5. Vita Alex

Vita Alex Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Thanks :) An update is being submitted that will add a lot of new facts (1000), and then, a new one (already ready, but waiting for submission) which will add some more features :)

I'm glad you like it, give it a good review and rating please :)

Will go work on that icon now :)

Thanks!

6. brewstermax

I don't like the iTunes review process much. I'll write a real review. I found a few text issues. Non capitalization of first letters, no periods. Odd formatting.

Great. :) A list would be great, and non random would be too, I've already seen the same one about being more likely to be killed by a cork than a snake about 3 times. :)

7. Vita Alex

Vita Alex Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Yea, all those issues are fixed in the update that apple is currently reviewing :(

Namely, a bug, where some double quotes are being displayed as a weird character, and some cut off sentences ...

I've gone through all (2000!) facts by hand to correct all those errors, so, once the update is live (in the next 2-3 days I hope) - it'll be error free :)

Or at least, 99% error free :)

And yea, some users have been complaining about the random thing, so a switch to turn off randomization (and show them in consequential order) will be added.

Btw, what type of icon would suit such an app, what do you think?

What icon you would've liked more? :)

8. brewstermax

You can do one of a few things with the icon. Text is always a bad thing. Never use text. I would honestly be inventive or use Razorianfly.com, and have Aaron make one for you. His work is great. If you can't think of anything that stands out, and looks great, use him.

And how about a sequel app, Random Quotes. :)

9. Vita Alex

Vita Alex Member

Apr 19, 2009
    yea, will try to get in touch with that guy. Thanks for the tip ! :)

10. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    #10 DaveMc99, Apr 21, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
    Congrats on making it into the Top 100 all paid apps. #78 :)
    #9 in Entertainment wow

11. Vita Alex

Vita Alex Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Thanks! I'm trying to support and improve it with the speed it's climbing the charts, but that long app update review process is ridiculous :(

12. Vita Alex

Vita Alex Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Any developers in here? Or anyone who knows how much time it takes for apple to approve an update? Used to be less then a week a few months ago. Now?

13. Slayniac

Slayniac Active Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Germany
    I always like to have sources along with such facts. Can't see any option to view the corresponding source :(

That chinese thing for example is a hoax.

14. Vita Alex

Vita Alex Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Update just hit the store. All known issues - fixed + 1000 new facts added. Enjoy !: )

15. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    Just downloaded it.. you dethroned Pocket God as the #1 Entertainment app.. worth it :)

16. PowerThirst

PowerThirst Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Can't believe you can sell an app like this...

17. Vita Alex

Vita Alex Member

Apr 19, 2009
    App updated to 3000 Awesome Facts, another update - pending Apple's approval:)

18. AceMasta

AceMasta New Member

May 8, 2009
    This is honestly a great app. But there are a few repeats-well, not really. There are 2 different ones about how flies can live for X amount of time. Can't wait for the update

19. Vita Alex

Vita Alex Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Yea, those should be fixed. The update should hit this Tuesday (if not, then apple rejected it for some reason :( )

20. Albtraum

Albtraum Active Member

May 2, 2009
    No offense to the developer - good for you for exploiting stupidity - I'm honestly in complete shock that people are so dumb that they'd pay for this.

Clearly, none of these "facts" has been checked by anyone with a brain - it's just a bunch of urban legend garbage from old chain letters. Why would you pay for a bunch of gobbledygook that you could just as easily find by reading e-mail forwards from your crazy aunt?

Let's just look at the examples from the screenshots in this thread, shall we?

-"Chinese people could jump and knock the earth out of orbit" - this was nonsense when I first saw it as a "Weekly World News" item in the mid-1980s and it's still nonsense today.

-"All the continents are wider at the north than the south" ooo, mysterious! Except for Europe. And Australia. And Antarctica, which has to be disqualified because it contains the south pole. So... er... well, four out of seven is pretty good accuracy for a "fact", right?

So... you pay money for a text list of inaccurate facts? Great app. Phenomenal.

This app's popularity shows one of the big problems with the app store. A lot of people for some reason - I think perhaps because they're children? I don't know - choose to throw their money away on garbage.