$19.99 games, iPhone vs DSi vs PSP, Game Sharing...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Forerunnerz, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Forerunnerz

Forerunnerz Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    #1 Forerunnerz, Feb 26, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
    Instead of spamming the forums with several other topics I will be putting my thoughts into this topic.

$19.99 gaming?

Rumor, or the truth?

I was happy after seeing the photo of the $19.99 gaming section that is supposedly coming out, but after having spoken to a member of TA, I have doubts that $19.99 gaming will be released. There is still a chance though!

Game Sharing?

Well yesterday(or a day or two before that), there were screenshots of what looked like wireless sync. Could this neccesarilly mean wireless chargers? Or can it mean local game sharing? Having to sync with another device to share a game(not forever but like the psp and the ds) would be an awesome thing that developers would be able to incorporate in a game. Personally I think it's possible. Seeing as Apple is trying to compete with the ds and the psp.

2. GBX

GBX Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    *facepalm*

3. manolis

manolis Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    USA
    hahaha rofl
    right there with you man.

4. Forerunnerz

Feb 14, 2009
    Eh, I was bored and only had my iPhone to use.

5. gigidey

gigidey Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    The DSi vs iPhone is biased and a joke.

6. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    #6 spiffyone, Feb 26, 2009
    A very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very slight chance.

In other words...it most probably will NOT happen. Devs could price as they wish now, and most game developers hit the price range of free to $9.99 for very specific reasons. I've seen one or two games priced at $12.99, but I doubt I'll ever see $19.99 games on this platform. This isn't PSP or DS, it isn't even in the portable game system market (this is a mobile platform, which is a separate market), and the costs associated with developing and releasing games on Sony and Nintendo's portable systems do not really apply here. There's no physical media to order for game pressing purposes, varied distributors, lower overall dev kit and licensing/royalty fees.

Wireless chargers...maybe. I'd like to see it.

Local game sharing? Hope so. If by game sharing you mean multiplayer wi-fi with only one copy of the game needed then I totally would dig that.

Apple isn't really trying to compete with those devices nor trying to compete in the portable game market. Again, this platform (the iTouch/Phone platform) is in the mobile game market technically. If Apple brings up PSP and DS it's in an effort to get game consumers and developers to broaden the scope of the platform's consumer base. Apple is trying to carve their own niche, and they seem to be doing it quite successfully.

Don't think of this as a portable. It isn't. It's mobile. There's a difference. And that difference mirrors, in most respects, the difference between the home console market and the PC gaming market.

Not a good comparison.

It should really be iTouch/Phone vs. BREW vs. nGage vs. Palm vs. PocketPC/WinCE.

Again, this is a platform that falls more within the mobile market than anything else, which is why you won't see NPD bring up iTouch/Phone in analysis of the portable game market anymore than you'll see them bring up the PC gaming market when discussing analysis of the home console game market. Again, different markets. Yes, you can play PC games at home, but the market is distinct, and always has been thought as such within the industry. Similar deal with the mobile game market compared to the portable game system market regardless of the fact that both are "on the go".

It's better. Way better.

Are you really comparing two earlier gen ARM processors vs. an ARM 11 and a PowerVR MBX-lite GPU?

Again, different markets serve different needs. This, again, is not a portable game system and thus caters to a slightly different type of game consumer.

And that right there is your clue that it isn't a portable game system and really shouldn't be compared to them. Game systems by definition are primarily focused on being game playing devices. This is why the industry always considered, and still considered, the home console market as very distinct from the PC market. Home consoles are game systems, designed and focused primarily on running game software. PC's are not focused primarily to running any one type of software, but one can say for certain that games were an afterthought for PCs (as they were built, and still are built, primarily for productivity type tasks). Same deal with iTouch/Phone and other mobile platforms. They are not designed primarily for game playing. That came later.

To be honest, and fair, I've made the same mistake of making similar comparisons between iTouch/Phone and DS/PSP in the past myself. But I realized it really is comparing apples to oranges (;)). It's like those people constantly comparing PC gaming to home console gaming. They're making a similar mistake. They don't see that these are completely separate markets with completely different mindsets in regards to developer strategy and consumer expectation and demand.

7. Forerunnerz

Feb 14, 2009
    #7 Forerunnerz, Feb 26, 2009
    Eh, screw the iPhone vs DSi. Removed. There is already too much portable/console wars in the world.

@SpiffyOne

Thanks for the positive response instead of flaming like the rest of the posters.