iPad 19.99$ GAME SECTION on APP STORE?!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by pante, Jan 29, 2009.

1. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    here is an info i found on pocket gamer.

"Apple planning $19.99 games section on App Store

Apple is planning to introduce a premium games section to its App Store where it will sell a range of iPhone games for $19.99, sources tell PocketGamer.biz.

However, the initiative will only be open to a restricted number of large publishers, rather than the thousands of smaller developers currently selling their titles on the main App Store.

The rumour has been buzzing for a few months now - we even included it in our predictions for 2009 feature - but our sources suggest that it's now actually happening.

There are no details on timescale, although Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC), traditionally held in June, may be one likely launch date. However, it could be announced at a separate games-focused event.

We contacted Apple for its response, but the company reiterated its policy of not commenting on rumours and speculation.

Representatives from EA Mobile and Gameloft - two of the publishers likely to be included in any such initiative - also refused to comment.

From some viewpoints, introducing a premium games section to the App Store makes sense. Apple is keen to pitch iPhone and iPod touch as potential DS and PSP killers, but before they make the necessary investment in higher quality games, large publishers will surely want higher price points and more guarantee that these titles won't get buried in the App Store crowd.

However, the move may alienate the many indie developers who've been flocking to iPhone, while it's a great unknown how popular $19.99 iPhone games would be among consumers. It seems we'll be finding out, though."

my god, this has got be a rumor! three simple questions for you here:

1) would you pay that kind of cash for a game?
    2) if so - what kind of game?
    3) and which one you bought already is worth for you 19.99 and you would pay for it that amount of money?

2. goblues11

goblues11 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Rolando was worth $19.99 to me

3. mek

mek Well-Known Member

i wouldn't pay 19.99 for some of the crap they release now, i want a full flawless game rather than a demo crippled piece of shovelware

4. PeterM11

PeterM11 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    East Coast, USA
    Woah!!! Awesome!! This is actually a great idea!!

To answer your question I think I would have easily payed $20 for both rolando of payback. They're so great!

5. goblues11

goblues11 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Hopefully thats what we'll get if there is a $19.99 section

6. spyker3292

spyker3292 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I'd pay $20 for Payback... Anyway, can't all developers charge $1-$999? So what's this special section? Sounds just it's just a section on the app store where Apple will advertise good games.

7. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    qft!
    :)

8. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    i thought for about it to, maybe there is a limit for game (don't know, just asking)?

9. spawn12345

spawn12345 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    There is no game on the app store that I would pay $20 for.

For $20 I want a big ass game with the best graphics that can be produced on the iphone or I can just buy a DS and PSP and spend $20 on games there.

Iphone is for smaller, cheap games.

10. darwiniandude

darwiniandude Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Should be just a search category, eg like the top 25, but called Premium. Must be open to any devs, but Apple use artistic judgement to weed out the crap... Any crap they can put on the normal listing at $19.95 if the dev wishes. But I don't like the 'EA' and big publishers only thing. I'm not a dev, but if I came up with a wicked idea, recruited a team of tallented individuals to implement it, sweated over it, fought for app store approval and Toucharcade forum members were stoked to 500+ post threads on the game, I'd be pissed if apple would let me go in the premium bin. For this reason I think this wont happen.

I want Track Mania for the iPhone!!!! Like that old classic 'Stunts' but far better. Fast fun racing game with multiplayer and jumps, brilliant level editor. I'd pay $24.99 easy for this.

11. pope22

pope22 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2008
    I think it's mostly a matter of climatizing the consumer to this price point. If a game, even a worthy game, showed up at the 19.99 price point tomorrow, there would very likely be an out cry from the user base. We've grown accustomed to the $0-5 and the $5-10 price points, and the connotations they both carry. However, as the article noted, the 'Big Boys' of developing don't opperate in those ranges. And it is those 'Big Boys' that Apple reealy wants developing for the platform. Jim Bob and his Fartware are nice, but Madden 09 is what's going to talk peopel out of a DS or PSP. In the end though, all of us who have made the claim that we would pay higher prices full fledged games should deffinitely consider supporting this effort. I respect the great devs we have now, but high quality games are not typical of the App Store we have today. And when great games are released at the $10 price point, there is still an uproar in some sectors, where as $20 New Releases on the DS would be considered a bargain. This will alienate some devs, but they had their go, the good ones will last even as the avg prices begin to rise..hopefully the others will fizzle out.

12. Iolo

Iolo Member

Jan 6, 2009
    dog eat dog

Who are the major killer?
    Apple must prevent dev from changing price.
    Every contents must have its own unique price.

13. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    I'd gladly pay $20 for a polished gta game by rockstar or sims 3 depending how much is put into the iPhone version. This is a great thing, memory might be a problem though

14. menom

menom Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    photography
    London, UK.
    hmm - seems logical - there needs to be some new measure to weed out the wheat from the chaff

I think it will work pretty well too - with such a healthy market for budget apps that have received glowing reviews (by budget, I mean everything under $9.99 - as that's still cheap by other platform standards for new apps) a major publisher would be crazy to try and get away with a half-hearted port to iPhone for $19.99 as they'd be crucified by reviewers as a result

As for games that would be worth 19.99 - Virtual Pool has to come close for quality and longevity (career mode with movie cut scenes etc) I also think X-Plane is amazing value - maybe not 19.99 unless all versions combined

one down-side to the rumours ...

maybe this is whay games like Tiger Woods has yet to see the light of day - EA holding it back until the 19.99 store is in place

(have to admit that I prob' would cave and pay 19.99 for good version of TW on iPhone)

15. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    I would never consider paying $20 for an iPod game. Sure, the iPod is practically a gaming and multimedia platform, but it can't deliver the level of visuals that I require form a $20 game nor can it deliver the kind of polish I seek. Games like Payback would reacjh the $10 mark for me. At that point anything above is too much. If you already own a PSP which is more powerful than an iPod, then that would be the better choice for quality gaming, such as God of War. Apple, a $20 game section? That's just too much.

16. synagence

synagence Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    I think on the current generation of hardware i wouldn't be willing to pay much more than current top-end of £5.99 ....

If iPhone v3 comes out with the much discussed new CPU and GPU combination which would then put it on par performance wise with a PS2 then i could see some games having the graphical and gameplay finess to warrant that higher price.

17. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    I know you guys don't like talking about need for speed. But what if EA was waiting to release it until the 20 dollar app store came out. Who would pay $20 for nfs? Now, I might actuallygo broke if they charge 20 for each game out by EA.

18. Barney Rubble

Barney Rubble Member

Dec 12, 2008
    this is probably where the Football Manager 2009 port from Gameloft will be housed

I wondered by it had been held back when it is on all other handhelds and lower spec phones:eek:

19. mek

mek Well-Known Member

what concerns me more than the price, is the ability to update

certain devs have already abused it, taking a paid for app, and making it into a crippled demo, or a paid for app, so overburdened with advertisements it is unplayable because they are trying to push a new, or the same product but make its existing customers pay twice for it

price fluctuations...i just wait on my purchases and dont buy on day one
    but false updates...apple should give the ability to ignore an update so that if we dont want to update a single app, we can ignore it

20. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    The only game that comes close to a $10+ (ignoring tax) value so far is Real Soccer 09. And maybe Fastlane. Everything else has some kind of issue that would just be enough to prevent me from spending $10+. For examples, Hero and Brothers are fun and graphically impressive but the controls are far too rough to really be worth $15 or $20. Rolando and Guitar Rock are innovative and pretty but far too short to be worth over $10.

I do hope this $10+ game idea works; I'm just saying there's very very little that even approaches that level so far, and the developers must create something far superior than what we've seen. I know some people on these forums have dismissed the idea of that control pad, but that could likely be the deal breaker for a lot of people. Expensive games must have as perfect controls as the PSP and DS to be worth a similar value, and a control pad will only help.