iPad $19.99 AppStore

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by LordCrom, Mar 3, 2009.

?

What is the highest price you are willing to spend on an iPhone game?

1. More then $20

53 vote(s)
    18.3%
  2. No more then $20

53 vote(s)
    18.3%
  3. No more then $15

18 vote(s)
    6.2%
  4. No more then $10

123 vote(s)
    42.4%
  5. No more then $5

35 vote(s)
    12.1%
  6. No more then $1

8 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. LordCrom

LordCrom Well-Known Member

There has been talk for a while now about a version of the AppStore coming out where the price of games start at $20 bucks.

I find this well above a price I would be willing to spend for a game on the iPhone. Honestly I shy away from any game that is over $6. If a game comes out at $10 and I am really interested in it, I will wait for a price drop, no matter how long that price drop may take.

I'm curious, how many of my fellow forum mates have a price they are unwilling to buy games on the iPhone for? Is $20 to much for you? If your limit is $10 and three games come out in a single week that you really want, would you pay $10 each for all three or make a tough choice on which one you will buy now and wait a week to pick up another one, or even wait on a price drop for the other two?

We are in an interesting place right now when it comes to pricing on iPhone games. A game can come out at a particular price point and if the publisher doesn't believe it is moving at the rate they want it to, they can drop the price within hours. Then days later, pick the price back up to it's original price. You never see this at retail. You may catch an occasional sale, but not a rollercoaster ride of pricing on a particular game created by the publisher.

If the $20 AppStore does come true, will the bouncing of prices stop? It would have to, wouldn't it? I mean who would buy a game at $20 if they knew there was a very strong chance the price could drop by 25-50% within 2 weeks?

As an example, let's look at a game like, "Rounders." It was released around two weeks back on the AppStore for $10. In under 12 hours, the publisher dropped the price to $5. Now two weeks later the price is down to $1. How hostile is your costumer base going to be when you are talking about a $20 dollar game at launch that is down to $5 at the end of two weeks?

Does the anger increase when we start talking about higher priced games? Are you likely to be more upset if the starting price is $20 and the game is down to $5 in two weeks then if the game started at $5 and is down to $1 after two weeks?

2. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member

I said $15, but I guess I'm open to seeing what a $20 game looks like.

3. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Yeah I put no more than $20. But it has to be a really good game. And include a lot more levels/content than what are in games now.

My expectations would really high, but if it has everything and is polished, then I'd buy it at $20.

4. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

Come on people, vote low so Apple sees this and scraps the whole idea! :D

Not that there will be a premium section based around a specific price anyways ;)

5. dcodd87

dcodd87 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2008
    As far as a 19.99 app store....

It depends on the quality of game. I mean look at game loft for instance. they are so worried about releasing games for money that they completely blow off updating them.

I think the iPhone must be attacked in a different perspective. It seems the games that continue to add updats are the most successful because it keeps people buying it. I stopped playing many of Gamelofts games in the matter of minutes because theres bug and then nothing happens.

With a 19.99 game, I expect the game to be flawless. With 80%+ Developers releasing garbage apps with so many bugs, apple would need to really control this premium section. I want supreme graphics and the game play needs to keep me playing for hours.

So far on the iPhone, I end up playing the game for a week tops and it gets boring.

So to answer your question, I wouldn't mind paying for the 19.99 premium game as long as it really was PREMIUM.

6. gscal

gscal Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    If I was gonna buy a $20 dollar game, it would have to be grade-A quality, with as much depth or even more depth than a DS or even PSP game.

7. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    apple don't care what any of us think

As was states if devs wanted to they could already charge $20

I'm sure as people will want more quality games the price will rise, Dexter will be in that catergory I believe

8. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    #8 Big Albie, Mar 3, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
    For me, I don't have any issues paying full price for games or apps if it's what I want. Outside of the iTunes store, games typically are more than $20, and the iTunes store follows its own economic scale. Honestly, the price fluctuations that occur seemingly at random here are the same that you face when you go to a physical store. Don't get me started on people who give poor reviews because they bought a game at full price, and then it went on sale the next day. I think the fact that the issue of your willingness to pay $20 for a game points to market forces in iTunes.

Having said that, while I don't have any issues with paying $20 or more for an app, it certainly creates an imbalance for indie developers since this new premium store is only for the big game companies. That part I don't like because it creates a class system. Sure, people will still buy what they can afford and hopefully that balances things out. But creating a class system that isn't open to developers in general really sets a bad precedent. With a $20 premium store, my guess is that marketing dollars both from Apple and these larger gaming companies will pour in potentially burying the indie devs. Of course, it could also force indie devs to increase the quality of their games...I've seen more than my share of quality games/apps from indie devs who also listen to users. My concern is that they will get drowned out by the behemoths.

On a more practical note, the iPotch and the iPhone have terrible battery life, and frankly if I'm paying a higher price for a "premium" game, I expect to be able to play it for more than an hour without worrying about the battery fizzing out on me. I know people talk about the Apple iPotch/iPhone gaming platform, but honestly, until they can get the hardware situation addressed, you're talking about apples and oranges (no pun intended) when compared to a PSP, Nintendo DS, etc. Don't get me wrong, I love my device and the wide variety of apps, but it's really suited for shorter gaming stints at this point.

9. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    There are apps that are well above $20 in the itunes store but as for games, I haven't seen many that go above $7.99

10. underthesun

underthesun Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Having a premium $20 section would be great, at least it'll guarantee better placing, rather than having to compete with legions upon legions of $1 or $2 apps.

And $20 means that there'll be more incentive for us developer to create games that are of epic proportions. Maybe true RPG games will come with the premium section, and I'll be looking forward to that.

11. Midnight Status

Midnight Status Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    I'd much rather bounce around a bunch of games than spend $20 on one. There hasn't been many games that I really felt were worth $10. I spent that on X-Plane and BIA. I really liked them both at the time though but now I wouldn't pay that much for either due to the rising quality of cheaper titles.

I actually think that $1 - $5 pricing is good. I want to see a lot of different short but sweet experiences from a lot of different developers instead of a few releases every couple of months. After getting used to the release pace on the iPlatform it's tough to go back to looking at sites like Gamespot where nothing new is announced for weeks at a time and when something new is announced it's usually just a rehash of something else.

On the iPlatform within in the past month I picked up Iron Man, Zen Bound, and Biplane all for less than $10. This is how it should be. Lots of variety, low cost for the gamer, and money being spread around to more than 1 developer.

In the traditional game business 10% of the games make 90% of the money. I'm not sure if that's true on the AppStore in general but it's certainly not true of what I spend my money on. I'll generally roll through the store and if something looks like an experience I want then I'll drop the few bucks on it just for the experience and that keeps me content.

I'm not really much of a gamer anymore (after all developing is the ultimate game) so lots of levels and those sort of things don't really matter to me. I'll generally be bored of a game in less than a half hour. Something has to be ridiculously good for me to play longer than that and usually it's not a content driven title but rather one that just has sound mechanics. Still I like to buy and try a few titles a month.

12. ianlow32

ianlow32 Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Iplatform games are on a different scale to DS and PSP.

I wont mind paying 10 for the best gameloft games, ie Hero, BIA ... but anything above that, I wont go for it. I believe gameloft do have sizeable returns even with a 10 price point.

My issue is that so many of the latest games cost 5 and below and are equally, if not, better than the EA and gameloft games recently. Vector Tanks and iDracula draws to mind for their low price but very replayable and high quality. Not as epic as EA/Gameloft games, but certainly they provide more hours of joy.

Zen Bound and Ancient Frog at 5 is better than any EA and gameloft game I have played so far. The worry before was that cheap games will create a deluge of low quality of games, but last month, the opposite has happened. The cheaper/independent games are actually better than the big boys!

Anyone thinks that any of the games I mentioned are worse off than Time Crisis, Alpine, Wild West Guns etc? Almost all of namco's games are more costly, but no way worth it and I have deleted all of them after a few plays.

I am sure Ancient Frog, Zen Bound, iDracula and Vector Tanks will be still on most gamer's iphones after a few months. Certainly, the quailty of non-big boys are getting better every month to the point that they can compete with the big names, and paying half or less for these great games certainly does not justify the need for a premium store.

If the big names are smart, they will learn to improve their games and come up with more iphone/itouch originals instead of focusing on expensive ports, some which they have to pay expensive rights to movies etc.

Iplatform has changed the gaming developer community for the better, bringing the best out of solo guys .... lets keep the price down so that they can make a decent living out of this, and we as consumers can afford as many of these as we can.

2 Zen bounds for 1 EA NFS? I will take the former. As for NFS .... I think by the time it actually comes out, it will be redundant.

And Apple, can you guys focus or showcase some of these above great games on your apple website? All I see is still pangea games and super monkey ball? Cmon ... these are not the best games on the platfrom ... show everyone the good stuff!

13. Diggity Dan

Diggity Dan Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Ninja (..no really I swear)
    [480] :: AZ
    I was torn on this idea when I first heard about it... And I still don't know what to think about it.

If the games are worth the $20 by having more content, console quality, better game play, ect.. Then yes, if there's a title the catches my eye I might be sold.

But I'm afraid some of the "big" named Dev's that get picked for this $20 category might keep coming out with the same quality games. And just sell them for the higher price off name recognition :(

Time will tell..

14. ianlow32

Dec 31, 2008
    Exactly. I want the smaller developers to thrive, not the bigger guys to make more money off us.

15. gscal

gscal Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    I believe that, if this certain section of the app store is created, then Gameloft certainly deserves a spot there. But small-time devs, if they create a good enough of a game, should be right alongside Gameloft.

16. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Maybe the 20 dollar games would make more sense when Apple finally upgrades the graphics hardware for the iPod Touch and iPhones. With killer graphics, the games will slowly become on par even with desktop game graphics!!

17. ianlow32

Dec 31, 2008
    I think the iPhone hardware is already quite decent, not PSP level, but certainly outmatch DS. I still say its not killer graphics, but the quality of original creative games that makes more sense.

Will you pay 20 for a Spinlter Cell port over iDracula at .99?

18. Sambo110

Sambo110 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Australia
    $20 will be cheap if the games are really great. DS games are $50-$70, so $20 isn't much, as long as they are great quality, better than anything on the app store now.

19. ianlow32

Dec 31, 2008
    Not so sure about that ... I think Iplatform has its niche of enhanced casual gaming audience and not work for hardcore psp/ds gamers. hence 10 dollar price point is still the max i see for these majority gamers.

seriously, i never believed in paying 50 bucks for psp/ds games when i can pay for the same amount to buy ps3/wii/xbox games instead. portability is great for most casual gamers, hardcore gamers i suspect will still need a steady power source and location to play.

i think 20 bucks will be for most, too pricey for us thats used to paying 5 dollars for, i believe, equally great quailty (albeit more casual) games like zen and ancient.

20. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco

Zombieville USA anyone?