iPad 1112

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by davidovich, Oct 3, 2008.

1. davidovich

davidovich Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Hello everyone! I'm sure some of you already know about this game. But, for those who don't, check it out:
    http://www.1112game.com

2. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    That actually looks really interesting. Is it going to the app store?

lol, I like how you have "Johnny Depp" pushing the game on the web page.

3. dudehuge

dudehuge Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    HAHA, yep definitely Johnny Depp.

4. davidovich

davidovich Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Johnny Depp for sure. Yeah. It's coming to the App Store, but no official date yet. This one looks like a real winner. Since it looks like it's split into episodes, I really hope the individual episodes aren't too short though.

5. Looks fantastic. Reminds me of a game on the DS, Hotel Dusk. The problem with that game was you could lose the game just by saying the wrong thing to someone, and have to start back at a save point. I don't like adventure games where that happens- I'd rather not have the risk of being killed, and just concentrate on furthering the story by investigation and solving puzzles- that's it.

Do you think this one will be like that?

6. aghartastudio

aghartastudio Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Game designer/ director
    Lyon, France

For the record: I can't stant dying in a adventure game:)
    You can't die at all in this game, you can ask whatever you want to the characters (to add more depth in the dialog system, we included a keyboard input option where you can tell any words you want (Yes any, prepare to have fun If you get what I mean:))

We'll post a real trailer next week if everything goes well!

7. Hey there! Nice to hear from you, and I am glad of your excellent news that there is no risk of death in the game. I am looking forward to the trailer very much. Can you save your position where ever you are, as it is on a mobile device?

8. aghartastudio

Oct 3, 2008
    Game designer/ director
    Lyon, France
    you can save whenever you want:)
    there are also tons of features that you'll see only in the real game, (don't want to spill out the beans too soon:)

9. Thanks again. I am REALLY looking forward to this. It would be great to have a proper adventure game for a change. Keep us posted please.

10. Just watched a demo video on the TouchArcade main page- this looks stunning! I could get thoroughly absorbed into this.
    The only thing that got me about the video was when you put the code into the safe dial, it came back out to the room view again, and you had to select the safe again to open it. I think it should assume you want to look in it once you have entered the code.
    I have got to get this game though. Any ideas at all on release date?

11. BATTLE BORN

BATTLE BORN Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    on the whole death topic... lol

is anyone here a fan of Shadowgate NES? I kind of like how nerve wracking it was because you could die from doing just about anything. lol
    and each time you had a funny little description of your death.

it starts you in the same room(or slightly prior) so you can just try again, but you have to keep progressing before all your torches burn out.

12. kadjisan

kadjisan Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2008
    #12 kadjisan, Oct 3, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
    @Battle Born: You mean the SNES? I don't remember there being a ShadowGate game on the NES, unless I'm wrong. Great game with a great atmosphere.

Honestly, Death is crucial for creating a game. You must create a situation where Death is in play, if not just an illusion. Death creates the air of worry where you must think carefully about what you say. Its realistic and a smart way of doing things. Sure, I hate dead ends and deaths like anyone, but Death in games is a must.

As long as once you die, you don't start back to the last save. Best way to accomplish good death situations is by having the player restart before the death. Lots of games do this now.

Another thing. Without death, the game will be flat and boring.

Anyways, this game looks great! Can't wait to play it.

13. judge

judge New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Or death can just be part of the came, as in the original zork. How do you get back from the land of the dead?

14. kadjisan

kadjisan Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Haha, good ol zork. Die and you can never beat the game....ever!

15. aghartastudio

Oct 3, 2008
    Game designer/ director
    Lyon, France
    #15 aghartastudio, Oct 4, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
    Death POV

Just to add my grain of salt on this interesting debate about death!

I think death in adventure game exist just to extend artificially the life of the games... (unless you use a complex tree of extreme possibilities) Since most adventures games are totally linear, the flesh and contents of the game should matter more than the character survival in my opinion...

I'd rather use lots of contents and things to interact with, or clever/fun comments on tons of things to add gameplay to the game than frustrating deaths at every corner (just like shadowgate or déjà-vu for exemple)

One of the perfect exemple to illustrate my point is shenmue for exemple (but still once you exit the house at the start of the game the possibilies narrows a lot ...)

A bad exemple would be a game like Phoenix wright (Don't worry I love all of them) but the Penalty system can become a pain in the ass... reloading the game and start again each time you die is horrible for me... If only you could try every object you have and present it as evidence without dying, the game would be a lot less frustrating! (but also a lot shorter... if you see my point:p)

16. firteen888

firteen888 Active Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Hey aghartastudio ,

Any idea when we can expect to see this in the App store? Looks amazing!!

17. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

No, sorry. One word: Myst. People largely dropped the whole "death" thing in adventure games after Myst, because it works better and is more fun that way. Since you don't have to worry about the developers arbitrarily killing you off at any time for any reason, logical or otherwise, you can relax and enjoy the game. Quite the opposite of flat and boring, actually. It would be silly to not have death in, say, a FPS, but I'd say most adventure games are better off without it.

--Eric

18. dudehuge

dudehuge Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    #18 dudehuge, Oct 4, 2008
    Don't tell the dev how to make his own game. Seriously guys, if you have awesome ideas, time to get a programming book or hire someone that can do it for you.

Just be thankful that these devs are participating on this forum.

19. #19 wastedyuthe, Oct 4, 2008
    From what I can see, no-one is telling the dev what to do- we are just discussing what's best- adventure games with or without death. If you ask me, it's a pretty interesting debate.
    For me, it has to be no death. As others have said, you don't have to have the threat of death for a game to be interesting. Adventure games such as these are made good by having interesting plots, good characters, hopefully a little humour, but mainly a sense of achievement when the player solves a puzzle and moves onto the next stage of the story. Adventure games for me are all about characters, story, and finding out how to progress with those.
    Take Broken Sword for example. There are times when you died in that game, and it took you back to the last time you saved. And if you last saved your game 20 minutes ago, then you had to do that all over again, and it was a real pain unless you constantly saved every step of the way. This of course detracts from actually playing the game and solving the puzzles. The times when you did get killed were silly and pointless in my opinion. One part saw you held at gunpoint while the bad guy spoke, then all of a sudden and without warning it gave the player control for a second (the cursor appears on screen) and then BANG- the bad guy shoots you and you die. You basically have that short period in which to try various things so you don't get shot, and have to keep going through it till you get it right. Silly. I would have rather the game control my character escaping and then let me carry on with some proper puzzle solving. See my point?
    As far as I can see, if Agharta Studio has removed the threat of death in their game, then it will be all the better for it.

20. BATTLE BORN

BATTLE BORN Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    we're just bouncing ideas around dude...

I haven't tried the SNES version of shadowgate but I probably will now. I really liked the NES version.

I loved return to zork. I remember me, my brother, and my dad all hunched around the computer, going crazy trying to figure out what to do. lol
    I've tried to go back and play it again but I seem to be dos challenged these days on XP