iPad 1112 update now available. Is all ok now?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by wastedyuthe, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Here's the iTunes link to those interested.

I still haven't got this game as I have decided to get it as an Xmas pressy with my vouchers. But I am wondering if those who have got it can confirm if the update fixes everything. Could you please let me know?
    Thanks.

2. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

I don't know what you mean with "fixes everything", because from a technical view this game was near perfect. It had some glitches like the "back" button did not work when you were in a dialogue, but overall, it looked and felt very awsome.

My problem was, that it has no story. Nothing happens. I thought that it would become better when you progress, as the dev said, but when I took a look at the walkthrough I saw, that I was nearly at the end of this episode. Of course I know that this is the first episode, but compared to other adventures the storyline just did not develop fast enough to generate interest (my comparism is always Hotel Dusk on the DS, where you want to solve the puzzles, you are motivated, you are interested, and that even after just watching the intro video and playing the first few minutes. For me, 1112 fails in this (sadly)). German store has 10 reviews with 3 mentioning the same.

I'd say that you should give this game a chance. It's the first graphical adventure on the iPhone. It looks, feels and plays great. You will finish it fast and maybe you will also look like "huh? that's it? where's the story?", but it's still an impressive game.

3. Yes I will get it, but like I said it will be an Xmas present. The issues with it (from readings other peoples opinions) was the spelling mistakes etc with the text, and the lack of a turorial or instructions. Both, apparently, have been rectified in this update.

4. aghartastudio

aghartastudio Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Game designer/ director
    Lyon, France
    Oliver because you all missed the point this is a pilot of the serie, the "quiet" ambience has a meaning, there are tons of "wrong" thing to notice everywhere until what you know happen, that's the whole point of the episode , setting the mood... it's all about introducing a story here..
    If you play the game with no rush to end it, taking pleasure to try out things and explore the dialogs right, you'll notice that there IS a story;) but let's not spoil here.

there are tons of people who felt the game right, around the world (it's true that apparently few in germany ;)) I guess it's all subjective...

5. Liljeberg

Liljeberg Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Graphic Designer / IT Support
    Sweden
    Once you get it, don't play it too actively because you'll finish it in no-time. It's a really really short game. I consider it a playable trailer. It doesn't matter if the developer says it should take several hours to play if you read everything, because most of the text (I'm talking of object descriptions for example) isn't important to the actual story in any way, so why should I read it?

I probably got approx 1.5 hours out of the game, split in short playing sessions.

Great graphics and controls, but way too little (meaningful) content.

6. aghartastudio

Oct 3, 2008
    Game designer/ director
    Lyon, France
    I'm absolutly not agree here.
    you can't make it in 2h without spoilers, most people who experienced it by themselves took at least 4h
    and what's the point of an adventure game if you don't bother to read?

anyway I won't post anymore defending my game here, I think it's not the thing to do. let other people have their own opinions and think about comparing this to other games quality wise.. (especially adventure on iPhone)

7. Liljeberg

Liljeberg Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Graphic Designer / IT Support
    Sweden
    When I had clicked a whole bunch of object and all I get is "This painting is ugly" or "No you can't do that" or things like that I focused on solving the actual puzzles. I saw no point in "Boopy trap" the light switch at any time in the game, so I didn't press that button. Or any of the "Steal" options on paintings and stuff for that matter. If I in the game find the need to steal anything I go back and do that when it is relevant. I don't press buttons just for the heck of it. Especially since I was an hardcore Kings Quest fan back in the days. If you "clicked" the wrong things there you could easily get killed. I know you can't get killed in 1112 (so far) but I see no point in doing pointless things.

And yes, I had ONE look and the spoilers, and that was to find out how to use the phone. Since nothing else in the game so far use the accelerometer it wasn't obvious. And I wouldn't have been happy to spend 3 hrs just to figure that out.

All this said, I like the game, it's just too short. If Episode 2 proves to include more puzzles and more meaningful content I will most definately buy it. Maybe you should consider not to chop up the story in that many parts.

8. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

#8 Oliver, Dec 9, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
    1112/01 has a rating of 4/5 in the us store. There are 37 reviews, with 7 pointing out that it's too short or does not let you do anything with stuff even when you have action menu items.

And in uk you have a rating of 3.5/5 with 12 reviews, where 4 mention that it is too short, has no story or you can't interact.

So 20-30% of your customers tell you the same things that I tell you. I'm not against you. I want to like this game because I like the production values it currently has and the game engine you use. But it has flaws in the storyline, the speed the story evolves and the interaction (or, currently, non-interaction, like Liljeberg describes) with objects. And when 30% of your customers tell you the same, you should really look at what they say and not ignore them. Because, maybe, they are right and their ideas would make the next episodes better and less frustrating.

You also have to keep in mind that many people write their reviews after playing one hour or even a minute or even before playing the game and they don't know that they can change their review later in iTunes. So what you get most of the time in iTunes are initial impressions, not what they think after having finished the game (or broke up playing). That may add to the 30% mentioned above...

@Liljeberg: In fact, you can't do pointless things. You have many many pointless action menu items, but either the main character does not want to do what you select or the girl responds that she does not like that. That was the most frustrating thing in the game: To see what the dev thought one might do and then just implement no reaction to this. Either implement a proper reaction or remove 80% of the menu items.

9. Yep- kind of shot yourself in the foot with that last point didn't you mate? :D
    Just joking.

10. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

I change my reviews most if the time when the impression changes drastically ;)

11. thor0298

thor0298 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    this game is great...it is part of a series. I think I am almost finished with it. I think as along as subsequent episodes come out for 4 dollars or so. I think this should be a very successful series. the art to this game is the best on the iphone. there is a huge story. the problem for some people is they just play games. they dont pay attention to them. remember king's quest, back in the day. all those old point and click adventure games where you had to pay attention to every conversation, etc. I would say this game has easily been them most enjoyable experience out of my 100+ apps I have tried

12. maikelg

maikelg Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Although I really liked the look of the game and the way it plays I have to agree with the posters before me that there was very little interaction in the game. A lot of objects were unusable or just got silly comments. Also in the end I felt that all I did in the game was find my wallet and get a pack of cigarettes wile I wanted to find a secret organisation and get on with the real story.

If the developer claims that there is much more to this episode in terms of hidden clues, I'd like to know where to look, since I clicked every damn thing in the game and never got the impression that I was doing something important.

Im not saying that this is a bad game at all, in fact it looks and feels like a lot of development went in there, but for now I think it lacks suspense.

13. aghartastudio

Oct 3, 2008
    Game designer/ director
    Lyon, France
    #13 aghartastudio, Dec 9, 2008
    A

yes some people completly missed the point or are simply not sensitive to this approach

look at most classical adventure game, you have a big background and most of the time only 1 or 2 things to do. (you put your mouse on an object and it change shape...)
    My point here was to have some interaction with almost every visible object in the game by using either fun description making player laugh or add to the background story, or help describing the character psychologic traits.) using the hundreds of descriptions you learn about of all characters and the background story;that was the point of it all. Personally I always loved this approach that few game brought to us (I'm thinking Gabriel knight 3 ,ultima 7 or shenmue here)

It took a LOT of time to write all that, I understand it may not appeals to everyone but there are tons of people out there who loved the way it is too ...
    I planned to put less descriptions in other chapter since the ambiance is a little more tense and he won't have the time to joke about everything too;)

Keep in mind it's not a cheap option, quite on the contrary, it add a lot to the game IMHO.

14. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

Well, please take a few minutes and take a look at the way you interact in this game: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/game_nolan.shtml which is similar to your keyboard-driven-discussions.

Then compare the answers to even the stupest stuff you type in with the answers you get in 1112 when tapping on the predefined menu items (or talking directly to other persons using the keyboard).

See the difference?

I grew up with games like Day of the Tentacle. I even have the disk based DOS version of Sam & Max in my apartment, including the little plastic image of the two. And I loved playing the point & click adventures on my DS.

@maikelg I feel the same. In my memories I just did stuff like looking for the wallet, printing photos, making photos, getting cigarettes. Yes, in a few of the many dialogues there was some information about the drugs and government etc. and that's where I thought, maybe, it gets interesting. But then the game was over, what's left was this feeling: For a few hours, I did boring and stupid stuff, which had nothing to do with the story. Everything, which had to do with the story, could be told in under one minute in an introduction. I played a character I don't like and he has a gf which does not like him either. Nothing to identify myself with. And, if you calculate with 4 or more hours of gameplay, like the dev does, that's too less I get for my time. But regarding the answers in this and the other thread, I don't think, that this will change. Bad for me and bad for the other 20-30%, which have had the same problems with this game.

15. aghartastudio

Oct 3, 2008
    Game designer/ director
    Lyon, France
    #15 aghartastudio, Dec 9, 2008
    oliver: I learnt english playing infocom's HGTTG when I was 13:) I perfectly know how text adventure game are working you know;)

I grew up with all lucasart games and sierra's as well (like some and didn't like others) anyway that's not the point here,
    I like my way of telling a story, and there is no argue to have here:) as you said you are free of not to read it all. keep in mind that we had a few month of dev and not years , the point is have one of the biggest adventure game ever at the end of the year .

I can't believe someone actually "complain" about the keyboard feature! the more we give the more people want!
    It's insane to think we could have make a total text interpreter along with a graphical animated adventure+ hundred of "animated or whatever" interactions with barely enough money to eat pasta at the end of the week!

Man I give up, you should think about making your own game, I detect a lot of talent here! :)

16. maikelg

maikelg Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    OT- Oh yes, please let someone bring Day of the Tentacte or Sam & Max to the iPhone, that would be awesome!

17. I assume the other episodes will grow in plot, so I am willing to give this a go still, especially as they'll be cheaper too.
    I would like to get back on topic please, regarding the improvements that have been made to this particular update. Can anyone comment on the spelling/text corrections and instructions that have now been put into the game?

18. aghartastudio

Oct 3, 2008
    Game designer/ director
    Lyon, France
    you are right;)
    I'm looking forward to have impressions of the corrected translations too!

19. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

Just to finish this...

You are offering several things in your game, so don't complain when people try to use them and they don't work as THEY expect it.

When you have keyboard input, expect people to use it. If the only word you can type in is (Spoiler) "Felicity" (End Spoiler), then you don't need a free input method. Just add this to the list of words you can ask and remove the keyboard. Currently, it's very disappointing, because 99% of all words or questions or sentences just get a "I don't understand you". With the current implementation, I would learn and then expect the keyboard to not function at all and therefore I also would not type in the name...

Most of the items in the game have several of things you can do with it. But when you tap on it, the main character does not want to do it. You get the feeling, that you control a character, who does not want to do anything. You talk about that the game evolves and that this is the way to describe the psychical problems of the main character, but overall, _I_ control the main character and _I_ want to find things out. It's a huge bummer if everything _I_ want to do to find things out is not what the main character wants to do. As a result I just tumble around and do what's needed to find this and that, but nothing more.

I now know that this discussion leads us to nothing. I want an adventure where I can interact with everything the game gives to me and where I can do everything to find out what's happening and you want to create an interactive book, where I see the story in the eyes of the main character and have to behave like the main character. These are two things, which just can't be combined.