Universal 1001 Attempts - (by Everplay)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Very little idea of what the gameplay here actually entails. Even after watching a trailer(?) on YouTube.

2. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    1001 Attempts is a sort of abstract platformer. There is a a left/right movement control in one corner and a jump button in the other. Each jump action takes the character vertically from top/bottom with ability to cling to roof or floor but not sides. Mid-air you can alter direction. The objective it to collect pink/green/etc color hearts to amass a high score while avoiding obstacles like flying saw blades or laser which would result in death. Jump, grab, dodge, repeat.

3. drloony

drloony Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2012
    Sorry Gabrien but that's one of the few fumbles I could call you out on. Love reading your advice on these forums but you really didn't get the game concept from the trailers? He he

4. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Added a new Trailer that should give you a better view of the Gameplay.

5. JoshW66

JoshW66 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2012
    #25 JoshW66, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
    Best retro game ever and possibly the best, most satisfying and unexpectedly great purchase of the week! So simple, yet insanely fun and challenging. There's something different every level and every time you play. Graphics are superbly perfect retro style and music is perfect. Thanks for coming up with this game!

(Whoa, and just realized you can move at angles by pushing a combo of buttons. Even more fun than I thought!)

6. breiko

breiko Member

Jul 5, 2012
    I totally agree with you.

Game of the week

7. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Are there achievements for this via Game Center or leaderboards only?

8. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #28 undeadcow, Feb 28, 2013
    1001 Attempts has a "Super Crate Box vibe" with the retro/pixel graphics and avoidance based gameplay. Initially the gameplay feels overly simple (jump and dodge) but things pick up as rockets start blasting, lasters, flying skulls chase you making the screen liven up like fireworks. I want to like 1001 Attempts but find the gameplay overly simple, with difficulty that starts too easy then amps up to too hard (I would prefer it just be hard). So far I think it's Everplay's weakest iOS entry yet but for $0.99, if you understand the gameplay, it's worth picking up although with it's streamlined mechanics it might not "wow" you.
    Leaderboards only.

9. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Thanks

10. Sheo

Sheo Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Russia
    Dev should make controls customizable becouse the arrows buttons are too big on ipad and its not really comfortable to play

11. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    #31 Andy C83, Feb 28, 2013
    Congrats for the 9/10 review by Pocket Gamer.

"A brilliant and beguilingly simple hardcore platformer, 1001 Attempts delivers more excitement in its bite sized blasts than most games could ever dream of."

Check out the full review here.

The 4.5/5 review by 148 apps is pretty good, too. You can read that one here.

12. Everplay

Everplay Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Thanks for posting those links to the reviews.
    Hope thats not against the TouchArcade rules or anything.

13. bacon-N-eggs

bacon-N-eggs Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Very super crate box-ish....

Love IT!!!! :D

14. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #34 undeadcow, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
    Crap... the more I play 1001 Attempts the more I enjoy it. It seems simple so I toy around with it, then decide I need to show the traps what's what and another round turns into two or three... the best part is the speed of your character, very fast as if taunting you to outrun risky traps.

15. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    You're welcome, and no it's fine. Copying and pasting whole reviews is against the rules, but posting links is a-ok. :)

16. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    It really doesn't need iCloud! It's a high score chaser, and your high score is uploaded to Game Center, so you don't need to sync it.

17. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Haha, yeah, forgot I posted that. After playing the game for an hour or two tonight I realized this is one of the few games I've bought that doesn't need it. There's no unlocks, coins, or progress of any kind that could possiblely sync over.

However, if the devs do add anything in the way of leveling/progression/unlockables/etc I hope they do consider iCloud! : )

18. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Please don't Everplay...please don't. :p Simplicity is the beauty of this little monster.

19. chickaber

chickaber Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Aperture Laboratories
    My thoughts exactly

20. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    I was thinking more along the lines of unlocking a new stage or harder mode or something, like Super Crate Box! I agree the simplicity is one of this game's best assets. I get a big SCB vibe from this.

One thing I'd really like to see is adjustable controls, and maybe a portrait mode (on iPad anyway) where the controls and gameplay screen are separate so my fingers don't cover anything important.