$10,000 Race to 100k Downloads Contest

Discussion in 'Promo Codes and Contests' started by BonezalesProductions, Aug 10, 2012.

1. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    Sweeeeeeeeet!

2. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    well if the appannie rankings are anything to go by this little app will never reach 100k sales nor 25k..

if someone buys the app because he finds it interesting go ahead but this "raffle" is borderline of scam (imho).. give me 100,000$ and i give a random person 10k ... *cough*

3. tso5818

tso5818 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    Your welcome and thanks I need it, to pay off college. ;)

4. BonezalesProductions

BonezalesProductions Well-Known Member

May 22, 2012
    Not sure how you view this contest as a scam? How many other devs give back like that? Appreciate your great opinion though. Lol. There's always gotta be one in the bunch that isn't so happy. By the way how's your app doing bro?

5. liquidmutiny

liquidmutiny Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    This is illegal because you're asking users to purchase an entry. Not only that but you raised the price of entry to $2.99 to "make things go faster." I'm not sure what state you're in but you can get arrested. Sweepstakes say "No purchase necessary" for a reason. You also have to specify a date for when the sweepstakes or giveaway will end. This is a blatant pyramid scheme.

The only way to make this legal is to allow users to enter by downloading and reviewing the free app.

For you the dev, a certain percentage users will buy the app if they like it. But, the bottom line is that you can't charge someone to enter a giveaway.

6. BonezalesProductions

May 22, 2012
    What country are you from. That's like saying when a McDonalds runs the Monopoly contest that you can win a prize without purchasing any of their products for the chance to win their grand prizes. You have to purchase for your chance to win point blank. Correct me if I'm wrong cuz my second job isn't a lawyer, I'm just trying to give back to our users. By no means is this a scheme. Do the math on the downloads, price, Apple's 30% cut, minus $10,000, and you tell me how I'm making out so far ahead. If indeed you can show me some form of proof that this contest is illegal than I will gladly pull down the contest as I don't feel like being jailed for something as such.

7. BonezalesProductions

May 22, 2012
    Actually I apologize. Through further research you are quite correct on the contest rules under the law. I will be changing the contest to abide by the law. Thanks for the heads up.

8. BonezalesProductions

May 22, 2012
    After further review the contest will continue but the March 2 100k contest will be 4 our lite version rather than the paid. Cheers.

9. tso5818

tso5818 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    There are a bunch of devs I saw, that sell there apps for entires to win prizes.

Can my review for the full version be for the contest? I don't feel like making another review. :p

Also, the 2nd of march is when the contest starts or ends?

10. BonezalesProductions

May 22, 2012
    I'll have to look further into the laws of New York and make a call to my lawyer. Hold tight for further updates but for now to be on the safe side you'll have to review the free version to be eligible. No that is the name of the contest March 2 100k downloads. Sorry for the inconvenience everyone. I'll be checking into the laws further and keep people updated.

11. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    This sucks dude one again the "man" is trying to bring you down