Universal 1-Bit Rogue: A dungeon crawler RPG!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Oct 21, 2016.

1. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    #21 gmattergames, Oct 24, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    It's not bad, in fact, almost pretty good. A few minor disappointments, including the IAP. Was hoping 3bit mode was more than just color, so took a chance, but imho, colormode isn't as pleasing as mono, and unfortunately, adds still show with no option I can see to disable. In its current state, I can't recommend IAP unless dev tweaks for more value.

Gameplay similarly, is not bad; simple, but not entirely satisfying. Like many RL's, the key is timing moves to get first strike, and fortunately, there is a control for turn skipping. Problem is, AI movement often seems random, perhaps it varies by mob, but some seem like they are on an unseen patrol path, others aggressive, the former less predictable, requiring careful use of turn skipping.

Biggest "gripe" besides the 3bit mode disappointment, is they've seem to left out artifact descriptions. Perhaps I'm missing it, but have no clue what these items do.

There's the obvious heartburn over weapon degrade, which for such a light RL, seems like a questionable mechanic. As long as you realize weapons are merely power ups, more akin to a Pacman power pill, its easier to swallow (no pun intended.) What would be nice is if in addition to statues, levels had a few "forges" mixed in, a place to repair and enhance weapons.

This game still has room to grow (improve), and while the iap is a questionable value, game itself is worth the dl for anyone needing a quick RL fix.

2. Oats

Oats Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Accounting Monkey
    Sunny California
    I keep getting to the last boss, but haven't been able to slay him yet #
    Anyone manage to kill him yet? I'm wondering if I should be leveling up the ninja instead of the fighter(?)

3. mcamp

mcamp Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Yeah, I paid and I'm pissed. Until ads are removed, I will not play this game. I'm real mad I've already paid for it.

4. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011

Was coming here to ask about this before buying it. If that's the case, I'm skipping it for the time being and just playing with ads. :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. mcamp

mcamp Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Developer told me on twitter he may remove the ads in an update. Fingers crossed that comes to pass.

6. User727

User727 New Member

Nov 2, 2016
    Having completed the game here is a brief summary of things to watch out for.
    Enemies; This is purely based on experience so there may be mistakes.
    Bat - Your basic enemy. Has 1 HP.
    Slime - A slightly stronger bat. (I think 2 HP)
    Fungus - A slightly stronger slime.
    Kobold - Strongest enemy so far and can hit you from range. I believe they may also have a shield which can nullify your attacks on some occasions.
    Viper - They don't have a high HP but deal 5 damage which is quite high early on.
    Ogre - I may be wrong but I do believe that they actually try to follow you as opposed to random movements.
    Dramos - They steal money off you when they hit you.
    Wizard - They also strike from range but deal more damage.
    Zombie - Don't know an awful lot about this one.
    Skeleton - Basically the same as Kobold but a lot stronger.
    Vampire - When killed they transform into 3 bats which can really be a pain if your forced to kill them as it decays your weapons quicker
    Minotaur - A stronger skeleton. 13 damage and from range as well
    Golem - More damage than most. They also have a shield.
    Ghost - Only deal 1 attack but can move through walls. Handy for restoring the HP of clerics.
    Lich - They can also move through walls. Your Max HP decreases by one every time they attack.
    Dragon - One appears on every 10th floor getting stronger each time. At some stage they can attack from range and must be defeated to obtain an artefact (Which have no special effects on the player btw).
    Boldof - The final boss has alot of HP and deals 20 damage. Make sure your weapon is nowhere near decaying (ie don't worry about the other enemies so much if you can help it) and make full use of medicine crates.

There's also a few traps;
    Needle - deals damage
    Avalanche - deals more damage
    Monster trap - Enemies spawn around you

Having only completed the game with the swordsman I would say he is easiest to complete the game with. Remember to be tactical. Only pick up medicine and new weapons when all enemies are defeated if you can help it. There is also no need to take any curses with the swordsman. Also remember. It is okay to get past a floor without defeated all enemies. Don't worry about hunting down ghosts or bats especially if you have a weapon which will decay.

Also, the maximum HP is 99.

7. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    New update says the color IAP will remove banner and popup ads.

8. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Thanks for ad removal!

9. L0ck

L0ck Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2015
    And now this gets my money. Nice!

10. Roleki

Roleki Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Can someone please up a screenshot of how this looks in color?

11. autofire

autofire Active Member

Aug 16, 2013
    Here is a pic. By the way, the ads after iap removal aren't so bad,seems like just opt in for a continue, which you can instead use gold for...

Attached Files:

12. shirtandtieler

shirtandtieler New Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Here is an imgur album of some 3-bit screenshotsÂ…and if you'd prefer a video, I made a quick, 3 minute one of me speeding through the first 10 levels, and then purposefully dying on the 11th :)

13. BillyOceansBlues

BillyOceansBlues Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    I think maybe I was experiencing the same ennui as the Shaun when he reviewed this, and to make it worse, right now happens to be a time with a glut of excellent rng games, but I did a sweep of uninstalled games on the app store and came back to this one - it's really fun! I've been using my Cleric to earn cash to dump into the ninja's max HP. This is one of thise simple-dimple roguelikes similar to DUNGEONy, Tiny Rogue, and MicRogue in that it's easier to just get screwed because there are fewer variables. But the flow of play works well and it's cool to be forced to almost stealth through floors until you can get a weapon again (does this game take place in the land of the world's worst blacksmiths?).
    Anyways gg.