•iPhone Unity and me•

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by WellSpentYouth, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Twitchfactor

Twitchfactor Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2009
    25+ Year Game Developer
    Somewhere between Genius & Insanity
    Unity's asset integration pipeline is even better than Unreal3 (which I use every day in my "day job"). It also has a TON of proven software on the target platform (in the case iPhone). The community is very helpful (hopefully will stay that way after the influx of "free Unity" spammers that will inevitably come). And Unity deploys to multiple platforms practically at the touch of a button (PC, Mac, Web).

Unity's one of the best engines I've used (and I've used tons), for the price. And now that it's "free", there's nothing that touches it.

It's not going to make a game for you. You'll still have to learn how to program and make assets and of course... design and tune and test. But it'll give oyu the best leg up. Hell, if I had something like Unity back in 1985, when I started, who knows what type of games I'd be making now!

2. Goody!

Goody! Active Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Slave to passions
    SF Bay Area
    A couple of additional notes on Unity

Unity is a very powerful and capable engine that can do things that I've wanted in in-house game engines for a long time. It spell checked me once for gods sake! "Did you mean boolean?" :) Their editor is the shizizzle. Those points motivated me to spend my own hard earned (and very precious :)) 600 dollars to purchase it.

But there are definite issues as well. One is that if you want to do 2D you have to jump through a ton of hoops. Animation of 2D is seemingly primitive, anyone remember what a sprite sheet is?:eek: Another is that the script editor is crud and doesn't have auto-complete. Another is that the documentation for scripting is seriously lacking heft, I'd say that if you aren't a programmer or at least experienced with Javascript you are going to be banging your head against a lot of walls and preying for responses to your (okay, my) pitiful pleas for help on the dev message board. :p.

But, from experience, there are few to no games that don't need programmer support to make them do what the design needs. That's why even people that use Unreal to make the big blockbusters have programming staff.

Back to Unity; again it's a very powerful and capable engine but that power seems to have a price as far as Iphone development goes. One of the biggest issues is that getting your game under the 10 meg 3G limit is, from what I've heard, dang near impossible. There are debates and conclusions on the Unity boards about whether or not this is a real hindrance to sales but what stuck in my mind after reading up on it was that being over 10mb will limit access to about 70% of the people with Iphones, leaving 30% out in the cold. But there is at least one Unity games that have overcome this to become a big seller, ZombieVile USA. I think I spells that rong.

Anyway, good luck, I hope I've been able to shed a little light from a noobs perspective of Unity.

--Goody!