‘Galactic Keep: Dice Battles’ Create a Character Contest!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gildedskull, Oct 2, 2009.

?

Which character submission do you like the best?

Poll closed Nov 10, 2009.
  1. OPTION 1: Panther Uteri created by Walsh06

10 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. OPTION 2: Srretio’il created by MunkieSuthorn

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. OPTION 3: Trent Taylor created by VegantTNT

12 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. OPTION 4: Heheaeia created by Comassion

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
  1. gildedskull

gildedskull Well-Known Member

Less than a week left!

Read the characters bios and take a sec to cast your vote.

We're trying to think of something interesting to do with the second place finalist too. All four are so good! Ideas?

Voting ends on November 10th (next Tuesday) at 1:01PM!

2. Comassion

Comassion Well-Known Member

May 23, 2009
    You could make 2nd place be an optional party member, a major NPC, or a main character you play as for a smaller bonus quest (perhaps released in an update).

Heh, or they could be one of the the main villains or henchmen in the story. Some of the individuals up for the vote are pretty shady characters.

3. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

I like that idea. It would be good to see someone else get in the game too.

4. farnsworthiness

farnsworthiness Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2009
    You could do cameo appearances with the characters showing up as minor NPCs as well.

They could possibly appear as references that OTHER characters make. You start to build up the overall universe that way. That was one of the things I always loved about Tolkein was that there was a HUGE back story that you were only peripherally aware of when reading the main books...

5. gildedskull

#45 gildedskull, Nov 6, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
    There's one mission (might be a 'core mission' or possibly part of an add-on pack) where you're being paid to investigate an 'experiment' and you discover a complex/compound. On your way in you can enter what is more or less a 'bar' where there's all sorts of ne'er-do-wells drinking and fighting etc.

Anyway, you mess things up pretty bad deeper into the compound and have to figure out how to escape the place being 'chased' and ambushed the whole way out by a variety of factions, security and some other unexpected stuff.

If you go past the bar on the way out, there'll be a full-on bar brawl that's poured out onto the street that you have to get through before getting out. I'm thinking that we can pretty easily throw the second-place finalist in there!

We have a couple other ideas too...

Sneaking in references to build the mythology is a great idea. Buying a weapon from a trader who mentions the previous owner...time-stamped messages from the future left on derelict ships...

6. mattll

mattll Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2009
    bavaria

sounds great
    i am really looking forward to this =)

7. acidshaman

acidshaman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Im vote number 8 for panther Uteri... his story is really original, the others are either okay and i would be interested in learning more about all of them, but Panther is the most original.. a really fresh and original idea IMO, and also seems like a cool story without going too LAZERZPEWPEW (not a bad thing)

8. sconethief

sconethief Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Any new info on this?

9. gildedskull

What kind of new info are you looking for?

10. gildedskull

Just a reminder that our contest closes at around 1:00PM EST TODAY!

It's been a tight race, so cast your vote...there's a good chance that your vote could make the choice!

11. gildedskull

CONGRATULATIONS TO EVERYONE WHO ENTERED!

The winner (as you can see above) is 'Trent Taylor' created by VegantTNT. This character will be one of the initial playable characters to choose from in the game!

We’re going to work out the character’s stats etc. and we’ll post the initial character card (before the player-rolled stats are added) for this character soon!

Second Place is ‘Panther Uteri’ created by Walsh06. At the moment, we’re deciding where exactly to use this character, but we have decided that they will be featured…somewhere…in the game!

Congratulations to the other two finalists and a big thank you to all of those who entered with their AMAZING ideas for characters! It's not too surprising that the Touch Arcade forum houses a user base with such creativity!

12. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

Pipped at the line :( at least I'll get in the game. I have to admit my guy lends himself as an easy character to insert. Random murders or something :)

13. gildedskull

I don't think he'll be a random murderer. He'll have a pretty hefty role in one of the missions...the question is: 'Enemy or friend?'

14. gildedskull

Here's the character card for VegantTNT's winning entry!

[​IMG]

This is his 'rolled' character. The playable characters have 'base stats' and when you choose to play as one for the first time, you must roll a d10 four times then set one of the rolls to each stats (you can AUTO STAT too). With each race, except humans, there are modifiers that the player can add to particular stats.

Trent is ready to play...we still may need to balance him though!

Had to change his story a little...why would he be off adventuring without the rest of his pirate crew? There is a chance, however, that he may bump into them at some point and gain 'an advantage' as a result!

15. sconethief

sconethief Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Wow, great stuff, really looking forward to this game!