When we first looked at Team17 Software's Worms [App Store], we saw a lot of potential but so much of the game was ruined by odd controls, spotty performance, minimal camera adjustments, and other issues. Team17 has been busy for the past month working on an update that address nearly all of the complaints that people have had about the game.
Worms 1.0.1 brings the following improvements:
- The option to change graphical settings for increased performance in game.
- More responsive camera controls, including the ability to make the camera zoom further in for a closer look at the action.
- The ability to flip the game screen based on the orientation of your device.
- Improved Ninja Rope controls allowing even more death-defying rope stunts.
- The ability to unleash devastating weapons on your enemies from the safety of a parachute.
- Shorter AI enemy thinking times.
- Highly improved back-flip and jump controls, including a new finger swipe method to make sure you never accidentally jump worms into the water again.
- The facility to customise the game even further by creating your own enemy teams.
- Plus, a whole bunch of improvements to touch responsiveness and performance across all devices!
I felt the most significant changes are the ability to zoom out to see nearly the whole battlefield, as well as a ability to toggle graphical fluff to improve performance on older devices. The "low quality" graphics are hardly even noticeable too, all the toggle seems to do is turn off the animated backgrounds and particle effects which add nothing to the gameplay.
Here is a comparison of "high quality" on the top and "low quality" on the bottom:
All in all, this is a solid update to Worms and anyone who was waiting for the initial launch issues to be addressed can now feel confident in downloading the game. Worms still lacks internet multiplayer, so if that's an important feature to you, take a look at IUGO's Star Hogs [App Store].
App Store Link: Worms, $4.99