Back in February, HD Publishing released a free iPhone version of their highly rated mobile title Magnetic Joe [App Store], indicating that they wanted to introduce the title to the iPhone gaming community and then follow it up with the second and third installments as paid apps. As promised, Magnetic Joe 2 [link] has just appeared in the App Store.
Magnetic Joe 2 offers similar gameplay to the original but rises above it by offering 100 levels (twice that of the original), four new games modes, Internet ranking, opponent best-time downloads, and the following unlockable items:
- Cloak: Joe becomes invisible, making the levels even more challenging
- Bad: Makes Joe stronger, letting him destroy walls more easily
- Rerverse: Reverses the controls. Now you have to demagnetize Joe
- Josephine: She is light and floats better
- Bot: Makes Joe immune to robots
- Fire: Makes Joe immune to fires
- Hood: Makes Joe immune to spike balls and green monsters
Magnetic Joe 2, like the original, is essentially an inertia game in which you must control the path of Joe while avoiding various obstacles. But, instead of rocket thrusters, you influence the movement by strategically activating Joe's magnetic abilities. Simply tap on the screen to turn it on, and the magnets will do the rest. You have to be strategic, however, to avoid hitting unwanted obstacles (such as spikes).
The graphics are nothing to write home about, but the unique play mechanic makes for a fun game. The original was well received by our forum members, and anyone who likes what they see there should find Magnetic Joe 2 to be at least as entertaining. The free, initial release [link] should serve as a nice demo of the concept for those considering this sequel.
App Store Link: Magnetic Joe 2, $1.99